We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Mainz best train ticket

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
119 posts
27 reviews
Day trip from Mainz best train ticket

Hi,

We will be staying a few days in Mainz before Christmas and I wanted to take the train to Wiesbaden and then Rüdesheim and back so we could check out some extra Christmas markets.

There are three of us traveling together. I know there are day tickets to Wiesbaden for around €7 each and the Länders ticket is €34 for all of us. What I cannot find out is the cost to Rüdesheim and then to Mainz so I can decide on the best value ticket.

Im also a little confused about bus and trams in the area -do they run on the same ticket?

6 replies to this topic
Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
7,155 posts
29 reviews
1. Re: Day trip from Mainz best train ticket

A RMV (local transit authority) group day ticket for 2-5 people for Mainz-Rüdesheim costs €16.40. It can be used on local and regional trains - and since Wiesbaden is in between you can just stop over there at will.

You can buy the ticket at a ticket machine in Mainz. Find schedules between Mainz and Rüdesheim at the DB itinerary page:

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
Level Contributor
2,585 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Day trip from Mainz best train ticket

Mainz is a full member of both the RMV traffic association (greater Frankfurt area) and the RNN traffic association (area to the west of Mainz). A Länder ticket (Rheinland-Pfalz ticket in that case) only pays if you travel outside these areas, like down the Rhine beyond Bacharach or Lorchhausen.

The idea of these traffic associations is to offer one ticket for all forms of local transport (trains, trams, buses, underground) in one particular area. These tickets are not vaid on fast ICE, IC and EC trains and often not on ferries.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
40,663 posts
3. Re: Day trip from Mainz best train ticket

RMV journey planer will also show fares (as Mainz to Rüdesheim is an inner RMV trip)

https:/…en

Mainz and Wiesbaden form a single RMV fare zone. Thus a RMV ticket good for Mainz does always also cover Wiesbaden as well. Even if it would not be en route (like in this case).

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
119 posts
27 reviews
4. Re: Day trip from Mainz best train ticket

Thanks everyone. Very helpful. Exactly what I needed.

Will think of you all as we wander each of the markets!

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,742 posts
84 reviews
5. Re: Day trip from Mainz best train ticket

Deb - while you're in Rudesheim do try to make time for Siegfrieds Musical Cabinet (small museum of mechanical musical instruments) https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Re… - its amazing!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
119 posts
27 reviews
6. Re: Day trip from Mainz best train ticket

Thanks thmoore. What a great suggestion, looks like fun.

Reply to: Day trip from Mainz best train ticket
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted