We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mainz - Rhine river cruise

Level Contributor
40 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Mainz - Rhine river cruise

Hi,

Was looking at cruises I can take from Mainz, as I'm taking the train in from Frankfurt for a day.

Came across the KD Rhine Pass One Day Ticket with Departure From Mainz, and wondering if anyone has taken this before? Would like to cover from Mainz - St. Goar:

traveltoe.com/product_info.php…

http://www.kdrhine.com/kdrhineMainz.htm

17 replies to this topic
Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
7,120 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mainz - Rhine river cruise

It's unwise to cruise from Mainz as you waste time and € on a part of the river that isn't very scenic. And there's only one boat per day from Mainz because of the low demand for a cruise with such weak scenery.

Better to cruise north from Bingen; take the train from Mainz to Bingen for €7 on the local/regional trains.

From Bingen there are 5 boats per day and the scenery is awesome on the way to St. Goar. Map of this part:

https:/…Rheinlauf.jpg

The cruise to St. Goar takes 1.5 hours and costs only €20 (or €16 if you show your train ticket for a discount.) So there is no reason to buy that KD Rhine Pass for €30+.

To return to Mainz from St. Goar (1 hour) buy a normal train ticket for €13 from a ticket machine at St. Goar station. Trains run every hour.

Edited: 1:51 pm, August 20, 2017
Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
11,085 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mainz - Rhine river cruise

You can also take a direct train from Frankfurt to Rüdesheim and board a cruise ship to St Goar from there btw. Visit Mainz on the return trip to Frankfurt.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
19,565 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mainz - Rhine river cruise

I would also suggest trainride Frankfurt to Rüdesheim which is quite touristy, but nice. You can take the cable car up the hill for views, have lunch there and take the cruise with frequent departures one way to maybe St Goar that covers the most scenic part and back on the train to Frankfurt

Level Contributor
40 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mainz - Rhine river cruise

Thanks for the wonderful suggestions as always guys!

This is the day trip I'm planning:

1. Train Frankfurt(Main)Hbf - Rüdesheim(Rhein), is this the right stop?

2. From Rudesheim, plan to walk around the entire day to check out the sights and take the cable car to Niederwald Monument

3. Take the Rhine cruise (20 euros) to St. Goar

https:/…

- is this the right one, or commonly taken one?

4. St. Goar board the train back to Mainz

5. Explore Mainz

6. Train back to Frankfurt from Mainz

Questions:

- Can I still use the Schönes-Wochenende-Ticket?

- Is it too much to cover, or should I leave Mainz out for another day?

Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
Level Contributor
2,540 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mainz - Rhine river cruise

1. Yes, Rüdesheim has only one train station, and this is it.

2. All day? So when are you going on the cruise and see Mainz?

3. Yes. If you have more time, cruise to Boppard. If you need to get back to Rüdesheim, cruise to St. Goarshausen

The Schönes Wochende ticket is good on all local and regional trains in Germany, but only on weekends (Saturday or Sundays). On weekdays there are several options: Quer durchs Land ticket, RMV ticket to Mainz + a Rheinland Pfalz ticket, one way ticket to Rüdesheim,+one way ticket from St. Goar to Frankfurt

Mainz needs most of the day, so do not spend too much time in Rüdesheim or be prepared to have just the evening in Mainz.

Level Contributor
40 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mainz - Rhine river cruise

haha oops! I meant half a day.

Ok cool, guess I can take the cruise down to Boppard, and then take a train back to Frankfurt from there.

Thanks!

Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mainz - Rhine river cruise

Excuse me for joining your post but I hope you can help me too. Which train station in Bingen is closest to the KD pier? I see Bingen Stadt and Bingen Hbf on the train schedule. Thank you.

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
11,085 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mainz - Rhine river cruise

Bingen-Stadt is closer. From Hbf it is a 15-minutes walk to the pier.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mainz - Rhine river cruise

Bingen Stadt is the correct one for the pier. Show you train ticket to get a discount for the KD ship. Seniors also get a discount (one or the other).

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
7,120 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mainz - Rhine river cruise

Not all trains go to both stations - so if you find a convenient arrival time at the Hbf station (there are only 5 cruise boats per day heading north) then the slightly longer walk from there could be worth it.

Reply to: Mainz - Rhine river cruise
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted