We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Night in environs of Mainz in early August

Paris, France
Level Contributor
73 posts
55 reviews
Night in environs of Mainz in early August

Hello,

My family group of 5 will spend one night in or near Mainz in early August on our way through Germany to Poznan (Poland). We definitely want to visit Mainz for a few hours, and I have put an option on the Hyatt so we can be central, but I would really prefer a hotel or Gasthaus in the countryside, a little less international... Perhaps with view of the Rhine, sitting outside, close enough that we can check out, drive into Mainz, park the cars in the old town and see what we can see before heading out to the Harz for the following night. I have also an option in Rüdesheim but I'm afraid it will be quite touristy in early August. Any suggestions? Many thanks in advance!

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
6,216 posts
38 reviews
1. Re: Night in environs of Mainz in early August

Check out Eltville instead. Close to Mainz, nice river walk promenade, quaint half-timbered houses and no souvenir stores, tour buses or docked ships. Lots of wine, some really good restaurants, and 1000's of roses in the dry moat of the Burg.

http://www.eltville.de/sprachen/english.html

Paris, France
Level Contributor
73 posts
55 reviews
2. Re: Night in environs of Mainz in early August

@Bornheimgirl,

Thanks again for your suggestion. Eltville and environs was our choice for outside Mainz, although some hotels and Weingüter were unfortunately fully booked. But in the end we opted to stay in the center of Mainz, for various reasons. Another time! Maybe we will have time to stop in Eltville for lunch. Looking forward to the trip!

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
9,052 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Night in environs of Mainz in early August

Entering Mainz requires the cars to be displaying German Umwelt Zone stickers.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
73 posts
55 reviews
4. Re: Night in environs of Mainz in early August

@becasse Thanks for the tip.

we have Paris stickers and I can't imagine that they are not accepted as equivalent - especially for just driving through. But I will check for sure.

Ann

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
11,226 posts
66 reviews
5. Re: Night in environs of Mainz in early August

Paris stickers are for sure useless in German environmental zones. https:/… It would indeed be rather cumbersome to get a badge just for driving into Mainz to your hotel's garage and out again - which takes less than 10 minutes when you leave the Autobahn at Mainz-Weisenau and stay at the Hyatt. But still you risk a fine of 80 EUR.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
73 posts
55 reviews
6. Re: Night in environs of Mainz in early August

We have Paris LEZ stickers - category 1 because our vehicles are petrol and recent. It would be nice if German and French cities recognized one another's stickers - vive l'Europe! - but after checking the website you suggested and a couple other ones, it looks as if that is not the case. And it also looks like it will cost 17.50€ apiece for the stickers - when they cost 4€ at a TÜV office... But I doubt we will want to take the detour to the TÜV office given that our time in Mainz is so short. We are going on to Leipzig for a two-day stay, so at least the cost and effort would be amortized over two cities.

I'm glad to know it takes less than 10 minutes to get from the Autobahn to the Hyatt. I have no idea about traffic in Mainz on a Wednesday afternoon in August!

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
11,226 posts
66 reviews
7. Re: Night in environs of Mainz in early August

Traffic into the city should not be an issue at all.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
73 posts
55 reviews
8. Re: Night in environs of Mainz in early August

Thanks Oli-6 ! Living in Paris, traffic is a constant concern. All day, every night, every day, all year :).

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
117 posts
1 review
9. Re: Night in environs of Mainz in early August

Agree with Oli-6, dont worry about driving into Mainz. Think Mainz is a nice choice.

Hotelwise: Hotel Ludwigsbahn is a nice little hotel, slightly outside the city center (you'd need to drive in and out though, 10 mins).

If you want rhinewiews Hyatt is hard to beat.

You could also opt for staying in Bingen, there's a very nice hotel with perfect views, but that's 30k from Mainz.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
73 posts
55 reviews
10. Re: Night in environs of Mainz in early August

Thanks Oli-6 and Bottlestops!

We are all set with the TÜV sticker for our car. No trouble, it cost only 15€ on the TÜV website (versus twice that on some commercial websites).

Very much looking forward to the stay at the Hyatt in Mainz. Since last post we have taken on another two family members, so it looks to be a jolly trip!