We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Move to Koblenz

Which Koblenz hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Belgrade
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Topic
Move to Koblenz

Hi friends,

at the moment i have job offer in one small towx close to Koblenz (45km). I am afraid of small places. Will live alone. According to your opinion: is it practical (or usual) to live in Koblenz and travel to job, by car, every day.(In Wasterwald). Someone told me about tax refund at the end of year for the travelling costs.

Vielen Dank!

Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
Level Contributor
1,625 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Move to Koblenz

This tells you about the tax refund for commuters(in German):

de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entfernungspauschale

Basically it means you can claim 0.30 € on every km of the distance between your place of residence and your work place. This is not the amount you will get back, but rather the amount you do not have to pay tax on.

You already have my opinion on commuting from Koblenz to the Westerwald.

Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Move to Koblenz

45 km on rual roads will take some time, are you sure you want to spend that on the road every day?

Where in the Westerwald is it exactly, maybe there is another little bigger town closer to your job.

You get 30 cents per km one way for travel to your job, that doesn't really cover the costs, also you have a general tax exemption when working of 1000,-- €, if you don't get over that ammount you can't deduct the travel at all.

Belgrade
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Move to Koblenz

Hachenburg. I know, but, it's even better to travel than live in a village, alone. Danke!

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,307 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Move to Koblenz

1. Hachenburg is no village, it is a town.

2. Commuting such distances by car is a waste of time. Do youn really want to lose two hours by day and more? Keep the daily distances short.

3. The winter weather in the Westerwald can be quite something, so in winter driving is tricky and costs even more time and energy.

Belgrade
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Move to Koblenz

Danke. I know. Beautiful, small town. Thank you for the advices, but i think i have no options to choose. 45min. to arrive to job is not too much, less than in NY or Sydney, definitely. It's hard to move from metropole to small town.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,307 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Move to Koblenz

You do have options to choose - but it's your decision.

7. Re: Move to Koblenz

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, December 10, 2014