We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

KD scheduled cruise from Bingen to St Goar

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
KD scheduled cruise from Bingen to St Goar

Appreciate if anyone can provide some help planning the cruise:

I am arriving Bingen by car early morning on May 17 (Thu) and want to take the cruise Bingen to St Goar. Questions:

1. Do I need to buy the tickets ahead of time for 4 people or is it almost always available?

2. I saw Eur 20.2 on the K-D.com online shop which last for 1.5 hr, is that the right one? (website partially in German)

3. If I choose to buy in advance online, do i still need to go to some booth to exchange for a real ticket?

4. When I arrive Bingen by car, is there parking available near the KD dock? Any idea how much? I will have a full load of covered luggage in the car, is it generally safe in that area while we are in the cruise? If not, what are the alternatives?

5. I notice that there are many stops fr Bingen to St Goar. Do people get off for sightseeing? How long is each stop?

6. Once reached St Goar, I need public transport to head back to Bingen to pick up my car. Is train the best option? How far is train station from the St Goar KD dock? How frequent is the train? How much time to Bingen? How much? Need to purchase ticket in advance?

7. I heard there are couple of very nice castles along the way? Each KD stopping points are they located? Buy a separate ticket for castles?

Thank you so very much. I tried to get answers from the KD site, but found it not very helpful.

11 replies to this topic
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: KD scheduled cruise from Bingen to St Goar

Sorry, one more - is there a bridge to drive over from Rudesheim to Bingen on the other side of the river, or one has to take a big detour?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
40,854 posts
2. Re: KD scheduled cruise from Bingen to St Goar

1. No. Tickets are always available.

2. Bingen - St. Goar / St. Goarshausen is indeed EUR 20,20 per person.

A valid train ticket gives you a 20% discount.

https:/…

The light blue parking areas are of interest for you. Between 9am and 6pm EUR 0,80 per hour. A 24 hours ticket is EUR 4,00.

5. The stops are short.

KD tickets are valid 1 season. Stopovers are allowed but you need to have your ticket marked when leaving the boat for this. Thus you even stop overnight and proceed next day (or next month).

But on a day trip it is more convenient to do the stopovers on the way back by train.

6. Hourly trains. Ticket is EUR 7,00 pp. No need to buy in advance.

DB timetable

https:/…en

To: Bingen(Rhein) Hbf

To: Bingen(Rhein) Stadt

The towns at these part of the Middle Rhine are all compact (squeezed on the little possible space). Thus rather short distances.

7. There are plenty of castles. But only some are open to the public.

Rheinfels Castle in St. Goar

https:/…17-1-rheinfels-castle.html

Marksburg in Braubach

http://www.marksburg.de/en/

Marksburg was never destroyed and is the best preserved medieval castle.

Some KD boats proceed to Marksburg. Another option is to exit in St. Goarshausen (opposite of St. Goar) and by train from there.

Alone for the return trip from Braubach it makes sense to buy a Rheinland-Pfalz Ticket for 4 persons. Already at Bingen (or online) to gain the 20% discount on the KD boat fares.

vrminfo.de/en/…

Route options back from Braubach

- by train via Koblenz (covered by the RPT)

- train to St. Goarshausen - ferry to St. Goar - train to Bingen (covered by the RPT)

- train to Rüdesheim (covered) - passenger (preferred) / car ferry to Bingen (not covered)

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
40,854 posts
3. Re: KD scheduled cruise from Bingen to St Goar

> Sorry, one more - is there a bridge to drive over from Rudesheim to Bingen on the other side of the river, or one has to take a big detour?

No bridges between Mainz and Koblenz at all. There is a car ferry from Rüdesheim to Bingen. But you can take the KD boats also from Rüdesheim. Same price as from Bingen. And if you want to see the Marksburg also more convenient if you park in Rüdesheim.

https://www.ruedesheim.de/en/

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: KD scheduled cruise from Bingen to St Goar

abalada, thank you very much for your expert advice

Orange Park
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
5. Re: KD scheduled cruise from Bingen to St Goar

Hi, we will be doing a similar trip. Arriving Frankfurt from USA at 7am. Hopping train to Rudensheim (or Bingen? which is better). Hoping to catch the 9:15 KD boat (but realistically will probably catch the 1015 or 1115 boat). Plan on getting off at Baubrach (1pm or later if we stop at another town), leaving luggage at the TI, and visiting the castle (4pm English tour?). Then train to Koln (guessing we need to take train to Koblenz first, then change trains to Koln?).

Would the Rheinland-Pfalz Ticket for 4 persons work up to Koln? (I am thinking not). Or should we just buy individual tix to Rudensheim from Frankfurt, and then from Braubach to Koln? Just trying to save a penny or two. ;-)

Also, we were thinking of exiting the boat in one additional town, Oberwesel, St. Goar, possibly, but just for 1-2 hrs. Do you think this is realistic, or probably stretching it too much.

Finally, we plan to train to Koln (guessing we would get there about 6pm), then the next morning (9ish) take train to Amersterdam to meet up with family. This is definitely a rushed trip. Would you recommend going to Koln to stay the night, or just stay closer to the KD boat dock (like St. Goar) and take the train from there in the morning?

Thanks to everyone in advance for the advice. (I have read so many of these forums, I think I am confusing myself! But I haven't found much on the trip up to Koln).

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,635 posts
32 reviews
6. Re: KD scheduled cruise from Bingen to St Goar

" Would the Rheinland-Pfalz Ticket for 4 persons work up to Koln? "

No, it doesn't, only to Bonn. But you can create an itinerary of

Frankfurt - Rudesheim - Braubach (enter desired hours stop) - Cologne , and see what pricing and what DB planner give you

Otherwise, the VRS ticket will take you from Bonn to Cologne (zone 2b)

https:/…preisliste.html

Please read the recommendations of the forum expert in post #8 here

https:/…90188450

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
7,182 posts
29 reviews
7. Re: KD scheduled cruise from Bingen to St Goar

pamancuello: "This is definitely a rushed trip. Would you recommend going to Koln to stay the night, or just stay closer to the KD boat dock (like St. Goar) and take the train from there in the morning?"

With all you are planning, this is a MUCH better idea than trying to get to Cologne in one day.

If this were my trip, I would get on the German Railways website and book a single saver fare train ticket from FRA airport to Amsterdam - with a multi-hour overnight stopover in one of the Rhine towns. (The ticket can be booked in such a way that you do not jeopardize the saver fare ticket if your flight is late.) I would try not to mess around with buying a bunch of separate train tickets for this.

Your stopover town for overnight should probably be Braubach since that's furthest north and where your last activity of the day will be. If you want to also visit Oberwesel or St. Goar (normally you can leave bags with the TI office in St. Goar) you'll need to ride the train after your cruise to Braubach, so the routing is a little tricky.

I will help you sort out the ticket and travel details (including the cruise) if you provide your travel date, arrival hour at FRA, number of travelers, etc. as well as the hour you wish to be in Amsterdam the following day. You can send me a PM with this information if you wish to keep it semi-private. I will get back to you within the next 12 hours or so.

In the meantime look into Braubach accommodations for one night. Besides the standard booking engines, check these:

http://pension.weinhaus-wieghardt.de/

https:/…index.php (use the google translate feature)

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
40,854 posts
8. Re: KD scheduled cruise from Bingen to St Goar

@ pamancuello

The "trick" is to buy a ticket from Frankfurt Airport to the place where you want to stay overnight by regional trains only. As if it comes to regional trains you're not bound to specific trains. Unlike with long distance traiins (IC, EC, ICE). E.g. if you would stay overnight in Braubach

DB timetable

https:/…en

start time 08:30

To: Amsterdam Centraal

and add Braubach as an intermediate stop with the desired duration (here you only have to eye the connection next day to Amsterdam)

Via (1): Braubach (and give as duration a stopover of 20:30 (hh:mm))

With the resulting ticket you can use any connection on your arrival day to Rüdesheim, board a boat to St. Goarshausen or Braubach (getting a 20% discount showing your train ticket), any train to Braubach (if you exit at St. Goarshausen).

And travel on the next day to Amsterdam (here you'll be however bound to the IC / ICE trains listed on the ticket).

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
7,182 posts
29 reviews
9. Re: KD scheduled cruise from Bingen to St Goar

abalada has explained the concept - but I think the routing along the right (east) bank of the Rhine may be problematic once you start looking at how the trains match up with the limiting cruise boat schedule for your hop-off visit to towns on the opposite river bank. You may need to try a different strategy - possibly an additional left bank stopover, or a different order of town visits and a different overnight town - in order to get a couple of hours in St. Goar or Oberwesel and still take a Marksburg castle tour. It all depends on the deets.

Belmar, New Jersey
1 post
1 review
10. Re: KD scheduled cruise from Bingen to St Goar

Are there any day cruises from Bingen to St.Goar October 20 th ?

Reply to: KD scheduled cruise from Bingen to St Goar
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted