We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VRN queries: KL to Trier and Bingen -- day trip (group)

Which Kaiserslautern hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kaiserslautern...
12 posts
Save Topic
VRN queries: KL to Trier and Bingen -- day trip (group)

We are a group of 4 based in Kaiserslautern. We plan to make day trips to Trier and Bingen. I have a few questions:

1) Is Trier included in the VRN region? If not, what is an economical way to get there and back.

2) Is Bingen included in the VRN region? If not, what is an economical way to get there and back.

3) It appears that the VRN Netz ticket is still valid for certain cities not included in the VRN map (e.g., Saarbruken). Is there a way to find out (a list of cities, rather than the map) what cities are covered in the VRN ticket?

4) I understand that the VRN ticket can be used for RE/RB/S-Bahn. These trains may take you outside the area covered by VRN ticket. How to find out which train station to get off at before your journey becomes illegal on the VRN ticket?

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,697 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: VRN queries: KL to Trier and Bingen -- day trip (group)

>1) Is Trier included in the VRN region? If not, what is an economical way to get there and back.

>2) Is Bingen included in the VRN region? If not, what is an economical way to get there and back.

No to both. In both cases, for 4 persons a Rhineland-Palatinate-Ticket (Rheinland-Pfalz-Ticket) would be the obvious solution.

>3) It appears that the VRN Netz ticket is still valid for certain cities not included in the VRN map (e.g., Saarbruken).

This is not correct. Can this be that you mix up Saarbrücken and Zweibrücken?

>Is there a way to find out (a list of cities, rather than the map) what cities are covered in the VRN ticket?

The map is actually correct.

vrn.de/imperia/…vrn_karte_pfadtypo_4c_low.pdf

>4) I understand that the VRN ticket can be used for RE/RB/S-Bahn. These trains may take you outside the area covered by VRN ticket. How to find out which train station to get off at before your journey becomes illegal on the VRN ticket?

Here the train line map with "border" stations:

vrn.de/imperia/…schienennetz_gross.pdf

Kaiserslautern...
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: VRN queries: KL to Trier and Bingen -- day trip (group)

Thanks much, this is very useful.

Regarding inclusion of Saarbruken in VRN network, students in TUKL get their VRN cards (which I assume to be only valid on VRN network) and, as far as I learned, they can travel to Saarbruken on that card. It made me think that Saarbruken is covered by VRN.

I am not sure but it could be that VRN has some special arrangement that allows the students of TUKL visit Saarbruken on the VRN card.

3. Re: VRN queries: KL to Trier and Bingen -- day trip (group)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:26 am, February 16, 2011