We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nearest Airport

Indiana
1 post
Save Topic
Nearest Airport

Hello,

I need help finding the nearest airport and it's code. My son and his wife have just relocated to Ramstein AFB. As you can guess I'm already trying to plan a trip. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mama Charlie

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,973 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nearest Airport

The next (major) airport is in Frankfurt(Main) (the biggest airport on the continent). The Saarbrücken airport is probably even slightly nearer than Frankfurt, but there are only some regional and charter flights going there, no transatlantic.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
96 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nearest Airport

...and the airport code for Frankfurt is FRA (Saarbrücken's got SCN, but as altmiro already said, FRA is one of the biggest airports in Europe with lots of connections to the USA)

San Francisco,CA
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nearest Airport

Hello,

I agree...my parents are stationed in Germany and your best bet is FRA airport and then taking a train to Ramstein. It's super affordable and very user friendly.

Good luck!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,871 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nearest Airport

You should be aware that any of the major airlines that you are likely to fly to Germany with offer inexpensive train connections as part of the ticket. Therefore, you can request this option when purchasing your airline tickets. As previously mentioned, Frankfurt (FRA) will probably work out best.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,666 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Nearest Airport

The offer marcopolko is suggesting is called Rail&Fly

bahn.de/international/…rail_fly.shtml

The prices of this ticket are set by the airlines, and it may be in this case not the best deal as this is not a really far trip.

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

To: Ramstein

To: Landstuhl

Ramstein and Landstuhl are the two next close train stations.

Cheapest method would be to stick to regional trains (select at the DB timetable as means of transport "only local transport"). Not of real disadvantage for this trip. And then buy two tickets

1. single ticket from the airport to Mainz

EUR 3,60

2. Rhineland-Palatinate Ticket Single

EUR 18,00

This ticket covers the part from Mainz to Ramstein or Landstuhl (or anywhere else in the state Rhineland-Palatinate).

You can buy both tickets from ticket machines at Frankfurt Airport.

6. Re: Nearest Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 am, October 13, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Kaiserslautern