We are in Germany for two weeks visiting family this summer. Our three family locations are in Frankfurt area, Hamburg, and Sigriswill, Switzerland (near Berne and Thun). While in those three areas we will see some sites and take tours of local area. We are spending around 2-3 days each family place, generally an evening, the next day, and leaving before lunch the next day. In between we have some flexibility. TA has been immensely helpful so far, and I would like to get some more specific feedback.
Our goals are to visit different areas, not necessarily spend a large amount of time at one destination. We are more interested in viewing iconic sights or areas instead of spending all day in a museum, seeing an area in detail, or partaking in "nightlife." Since we only need 2-3 nights in a hotel, we would like a nicer hotel or resort.
We will have a diesel car to drive.
Here is our basic itinerary:
1. Frankfurt area (Family) 1.5 days
2. Hamburg (Family) 2 days
3. Eltz Castle (2-3 hours), Trier (Spend the night in Villa Hugel and see Roman ruins) 1 day
4. A village in the Colmar area (probably Eguisheim or Kaysersburg) .5 days
5. Sigriswil, Switzerland (Family) 2 days
6. Stuttgart - Mercedes Museum 1 day (Spend the night at Le Meridien - I can use spg points to make it free)
7. Heidelburg area (with family) 1 day
8. The Rhine and Frankfurt area (family) 2-3 days
We have options for an extra day or two in between our family stops, how should we use them?
We could possibly choose ONE of the following, and would like other options because this is just what I was thinking:
- Between Frankfurt and Hamburg - maybe go to Berlin for the day and night?
- Between Hamburg and Switzerland - run around Alsace longer, or maybe belgium, luxembourg?
Hopefully our unique (and fortunate) travel makes sense. We are looking for feedback in between the three destinations of Frankfurt, Hamburg, and Sigriswil (Thun) Switzerland.