We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train and KD timetable and Town question

new jersey
Level Contributor
330 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Train and KD timetable and Town question

I am a little confuse looking at the timetables:

KD Rhine: If I was going to take a cruise on a Sunday, Sept. 29th from Mainz to St Goar, does that mean I can take either 8:45 and 9:45 or just the 8:45? and what does the 'colored' boxes on the bottom (and top depending the direction you are going) mean?

Bahn: When you start typing Mainz, a list comes up. Which one is the correct station? St. Goar, there is 'St. Goar' and St. Goar KD'? and what does the 'walking person symbol' mean when it states '15 minutes', etc. Walking from/to where?

I hope to have time to see 2 towns. First is St Goar and the other would be Bacharach. For sightseeing, can anyone give me an estimate how long is needed for each town.

Thank you!

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,222 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train and KD timetable and Town question

You can take either boat.

the remarks for the 09:45 boat are

* tägl. Juli + Aug. = daily July + Aug.

Fr.-Mo. Sept. = (do I really have to translate this?)

> and what does the 'colored' boxes on the bottom

also time restrictions

tägl. = daily

otherwise restrictions on dates and weekdays as given

Mo - Di - Mi - Do - Fr - Sa - So = Mo - Tu - We - Th - Fr - Sa - Su

PPS notes that the boat is not operated by KD but by the partner company PPS

> When you start typing Mainz, a list comes up. Which one is the correct station?

Depends where you will stay in Mainz. Normally either

Mainz Hbf (the main train station) or

Mainz Römisches Theater

> St. Goar, there is 'St. Goar' and St. Goar KD'?

St Goar is the train station. St Goar KD is the KD boat pier.

DB timetable can even give you the KD boat schedule. But you have to de-select all other faster means of transport beforehand.

> and what does the 'walking person symbol' mean when it states '15 minutes', etc.

That you will have to walk 15 minutes to reach the destination you queried for.

> Walking from/to where?

What about clicking on the 'walking person symbol' or the "15 min."?

Time?

Depends if you want to see just the town St. Goar or also Rheinfels Castle.

www.st-goar.de/17-1-rheinfels-castle.html

new jersey
Level Contributor
330 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train and KD timetable and Town question

Abalada: I like your sense of humor....

I should of been more specific about St Goar. Yes, we would like to see Rheinfels. I was trying to figure out how much time needed there and to see the town. If I have time I thought to take the train to Bacharach and then back to Mainz. Is 2/3 hours enough each town?

Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train and KD timetable and Town question

2 to 3 hours each are enough to see the old part of Bacharach and Burg Rheinfels at St. Goar, although you could easily spend more time at these locations. Consider taking the boat from Bingen, not from Mainz.

4. Re: Train and KD timetable and Town question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 01, 2014