We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best itinerary for 2-day/1-night Rhine-Mosel Tour?

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
377 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Best itinerary for 2-day/1-night Rhine-Mosel Tour?

Hello fellow travellers

My husband and I are travelleling to Düsseldorf primo May to visit with our son presently living there. While staying with him, we would like to do an "oldfashioned" 2-day/1-night tour of the Rhine-Mosel area, something we really haven't taken the time to do previously although having visited Germany countless times. Looking at the map we are, however, greatly in doubt as to which route we should take, which Towns/villages to visit and what Little cruise to include. Do, therefore, hope that you can assist me.

For your info, husband and I are seasoned international travellers in our early 60th and our son and daughter-in-law approx. 30 years old. We'll be travelling by Means of our son's car and plan to stay overnight at some romantic Little Bed&Breakfast, guesthouse or hotel with more emphasis on the location and atmosphere than star-rating. We'll start and commence in Düsseldorf. Our interests lies primarily in experiencing the beautiful nature of rolling Little mountains dotted with Castles and wineclad hillsides, strolling Little Towns/villages with cobbledstoned lanes and picturesque halftimbered houses. We are not much into the deeper culture and hence churches, art galleries and museums are generally not something we'll linger long at. However, we'll love to visit vinyards and do winetastings and we'll definitely like to include a brief cruise on the river. Finally we need to emphasize that we are not too fond of mass tourism and feel so sad, when we visit beautiful Places dotted with souvenir stalls and cheap bargains just for tourists. We would like to experience the most authentic, less spoiled and most beautiful areas. Based on said info, where would you recommend us to go? And what to see?

Here are some of our considerations - but please, please give us your suggestions as this is entirely based on "what we have heard only"...

1) Should we choose entirely to travel along The Rhine? And if so - is Rüdesheim as far as we should go South?

2) Should we choose to put emphasis on La Mosel in stead? That is - turning off in Koblenz and drive as far as to Trier?

3) Will it be possible to do a "triangle" - that is, driving along the Rhine to Rüdesheim, cross somehow? to Trier from there and then return via the Mosel river?

4) We should like to do a 2-3 hrs. Rhine Cruise. Which one would you suggest us and from which town? Is passing Lorelei a "must" - or are there better brief cruises meeting our criteria?

5) In which town would you recommend us to make our overnight stop?

6) Which Towns and villages would you recommend us definitely to visit?

7) For visits to winyards and wine-tasting, where should we go?

Sorry for the many questions. But we'd like to get the utmost our of our precious time and two days are really not that long a time when there is so much to see. Your suggestions are highly valued. Looking forward to hearing from you. Kind regards - PURPLE

Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best itinerary for 2-day/1-night Rhine-Mosel Tour?

Both the Rhine and the Mose valleys offer beautiful scenery with vineyards and picturesque towns. Most of these towns are popular tourist destinations, so you will find souvenir shops etc.

The Rhine has more international visitors, often on coach trips. The Mosel is popular with visitors from the Benelux and Germany. With less than 2 days, you should visit either the Rhine valley or the Mosel valley.

If you do the Rhine valley, concentrate on the part from Koblenz to Rüdesheim.

There are car ferries across the Rhine at several locations, including Rüdesheim. However, if you intend to drive along the Rhine, then over to Trier, and back along the Mosel, you would spend most of your 2 days in the car.

The drive between Koblenz and Trier along the Mosel takes a long time. If you go to the the Mosel, consider staying in the central part, roughly between Cochem and Bernkastel-Kues.

If you do a cruise on the Rhine, be sure to include the most scenic part around St. Goar, the Loreley, Oberwesel, Bacharach. Köln-Düsseldorfer offer cruises all along the Middle Rhine Valley and you could either take a round trip or use the boat only one way and return by train. There are other companies offering round trips to the Loreley area out of e.g. Bingen, Rüdesheim and Boppard.

With a car, you could stay in almost any of the towns and villages on the Rhine or the Mosel and use them as a base to explore the surrounding area. With a car you can also access many of the viewpoints in the hills above the valleys.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
377 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best itinerary for 2-day/1-night Rhine-Mosel Tour?

Dear Delbo - thank you so very much for your informative message, which I've studied closely. Based on same do understand that we need to limit ourselves in order not just to sit in the car all day which, of course, isn't the purpose of the trip. We need to get out and stroll the villages, see the Castles and cruise the river. So to do a "Classic" Rhine Tour I gather that we should keep focus on the portion Koblenz-Rüdesheim/Bingen and do the cruise part between St. Goar and Bacharach passing legendary Loreley and forget about Mosel this time. Following that idea, may I draw on your expertise once more and kindly ask you to verify the below further questions for me/us?

1) To get the utmost out of the most scenic area, should we "rush" to Koblenz and commence the touring from there? Or would it be worthwhile to do some stops enroute on that stretch too?

2) If entirely following the Rhine between Koblenz and Rüdesheim/Bingen I suppose we should drive along the Western side of the river down and along the Eastern one on our return (or vice versa)? Or is one of these sides more beautiful than the other?

3) Can we cross the river in Rüdesheim/Bingen by one of the small car-ferries? Or where should we preferable do that?

4) For our overnight stay, should we choose Rüdesheim? Or is Rüdesheim too big a town to be truly idyllic? We would like a bit of "night-life" though, that is somewher cosy do dine and enjoy some wine, so guess the overnight town shouldn't be too small either... Would you suggest us a better place for that purpose?

5) If we should like to visit a Castle enroute - any particular one you would suggest as the "must"?

6) We would like to visit a vinyard if possible and do some tastings. Any suggestions?

7) IF we would like to include a tiny bit of The Mosel River as well - would it make any sense either out or return to cross from Boppard via road 207 to Alken i.e. and drive along The Mosel to/from Koblenz? Or should we simply just leave Mosel behind for another visit?

Sorry for the many questions, but we like to be well prepared in advance in order to get the utmost out of our brief visit. Hence, your suggestions much appreciated.

Kind regards - PURPLE

Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best itinerary for 2-day/1-night Rhine-Mosel Tour?

Dear Purple, here are some answers to your questions:

1) There are some nice stretches of the valley between Bonn and Koblenz as well, but with your limited time I would focus on the area south of Koblenz.

2) One side is really as good as the other

3) Apart from Bingen/Rüdesheim, there are also ferrries at several other locations, such as Boppard/Filsen, St. Goar/St. Goarshausen, Kaub, Niederheimbach/Lorch.

4) Rüdesheim is not really big, but can be very touristy. As you have guessed, there is not too much nightlife in the smaller towns. On the left bank, Boppard is slightly bigger than the other towns and there are things you can do at night.

5) The best castles in the area are probably Marksburg at Braubach, Burg Rheinfels at St. Goar and Burg Eltz near Moselkern in the lower Mosel valley.

6) There are vineyards in many parts of the valley. Usually you can take a walk through them. Many wine growers offer wine tasting, and there are many small restaurants or pubs where you can drink wine. Just look around the place where you spend the night.

7) This is a nice route that will take you through the forests on the slopes near Boppard, then down to the Mosel with a spectactular view of Burg Thurandt near Alken.

Enjoy your trip!

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
377 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best itinerary for 2-day/1-night Rhine-Mosel Tour?

Thank you so very much for your swift return Detbo - and thank you for taking the time to respond. So very much appreciated. Your replies have been very helpful to me. Think I'm getting a pretty good idea of what we could and should do by now and will continue working on the details as the route seem pretty much in place by now.

Have a nice evening and weekend. Kind regards PURPLE

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
377 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best itinerary for 2-day/1-night Rhine-Mosel Tour?

Hello again

I'm now down to final details and should appreciate yet a question verified, if possible. I've found this riverboat Company, that seems to offer just what we are looking for, namely a few hours cruise passing the Loreley Cliff. bingen-ruedesheimer.com/rhine-cruise/lorelei…

With limited time available, could you please advise us of the following:

1) Should we choose to sail in just one direction, i.e. Rüdesheim-St. Goarshausen (approx. 2 hrs.) and then use the train back to Rüdesheim?

or

2) Is it worth the while sailing return as well although meaning "backtracking" plus the need of a 2 hr. layover in i.e. Goar?

or

3) Should we choose a shorter distance, i.e. commence the tour in Assmanshausen in stead? (Still sailing all the way up to Goarshausen/Goar?)

4) What would you consider the absolute "must sail" section on this cruise itinerary?

5) Finally, bringing our own car we'll need to park it while cruising - so will parking be easier/cheaper commencing from somewhere else than Rüdesheim - i.e. Bingen or Assmanshausen or?

Your comment shall be highly appreciated. Thank you so very much. Kind regards - PURPLE

Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best itinerary for 2-day/1-night Rhine-Mosel Tour?

Obviously you will see the same section of the river twice if you do the round trip. If I were you, I would take the boat from Bingen to St. Goar or from Rüdesheim to St. Goarshausen and the the train back. There are hourly trains on either side of the river.

If you take the round trip by boat: 1.5 hours in St. Goar are enough for a look around the town but hardly enough to visit the castle.

I personally like the section between Bacharach and St. Goar best, but then I usually start in Boppard, not in Bingen or Rüdesheim. The area between Rüdesheim and Assmannshausen is also spectacular, because that is the start of the gorge with the highest mountains.

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,526 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best itinerary for 2-day/1-night Rhine-Mosel Tour?

Yes, taking the ship from Ruedesheim or Assmanshausen to St. Goar is your best bet, then take the train back. You can take the ferry from St. Goar across to St. Goarshausen to catch your train back to Ruedesheim.

Parking in either Ruedesheim or Assmanshausen should be fine.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
377 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best itinerary for 2-day/1-night Rhine-Mosel Tour?

Thank you Detbo and Bornheimgirl for your swift return and good suggestions. Will definitely take the cruiseship from Rüdesheim/Assmanshausen to St. Goar/St. Goarshausen downstream and then the train back to Rüdesheim in order to get the most out of that particular day. On the drive down/return we'll then make sure to visit the lovely little suggested towns/villages of respectively Boppard, Bacharach and Oberwesel.

Do realise by now that there is so much to see and do in the latter section of the planned tour, that we may just take the Autobahn directly to/from Koblenz and concentrate entirely on the stretch Koblenz-Rüdesheim. May also skip the little detour to Alken/Mosel to pay duly attention to all the sights along the Rhine.

Now also considering to take the lift in Rüdesheim to the Denkmal as well as driving up the little Winding road to the top of Lorelei. Worthwhile doing?

As to the rivercruises and the train, we trust that no pre-bookings are necessary - or would you recommend us to do so?

As plans are narrowing down we are getting more and more excited about our brief visit to The Rhine Area. Not the least thanks to your very helpful info and suggestions. Feels good to be well prepared. So thank you once again for having taken the time to write me. Have a good day - all the best PURPLE

Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best itinerary for 2-day/1-night Rhine-Mosel Tour?

The Loreley rock is one of many viewpoints above the Rhine and worth a visit.

I do not know if reservations for the boat are even possible for individual travellers. Local trains cannot be prebooked, just buy a ticket from a machine in the station.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
377 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best itinerary for 2-day/1-night Rhine-Mosel Tour?

Thanks Again Detbo. Having now studied the flyer for the Bingen-Rüdesheimer rivercruise co. I find no info as to pre-booking seats or anything, so gather the boats are sufficiently large enough to handle the daily business. So we'll just chance it and trust it will be no problem. Same goes for the train back.

PS: Did just notice that in one of your first messages you suggested another river cruise Company - the KD Cruise Co. Seems like an even bigger Company running same route from Rüdesheim to St. Goar. So may I ask you a final question: Which of the two Companies would you consider the best one? Or doesn't it matter?

These are the links, I've found:

bingen-ruedesheimer.com/rhine-cruise/lorelei…

or

www.k-d.com

Have a nice afternoon and thank you Again for your kind help. Best regards - PURPLE