We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 days in the rhine /Mosel area itinerary

NI
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
6 days in the rhine /Mosel area itinerary

We are traveling from Maastrict and staying max 6 days hopefully in Rhineland and have no idea on the area. I would be really grateful for any suggested itinerary taking in rivers, castles nice restaurants and scenic drives short boat trips and of course wineries. a big ask but appreciate any thoughts. Our last day will require drive back to Amsterdam. Thanks

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
5,702 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 days in the rhine /Mosel area itinerary

For starters check through this link www.mosel-reisefuehrer.de/karte-gesamt.htm

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,736 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 days in the rhine /Mosel area itinerary

You can pretty much stumble around without an itinerary and find scenic drives, wineries and castles.

Marksburg (Braubach) and Burg Eltz (near Moselkern) castles make the biggest impression. Rheinfels (St. Goar) and Reichsburg (Cochem) are also worth visiting. Reichsburg is right in town and offers a free-flight falconry show Tu - Su.

Cochem is just one of many wine towns, but maybe the most attractive, and a great town to stay in. Here's a list of wineries there.

cochem.de/tourismus/moselweine_weingueter.php

Wineries on the Rhine:

mittelrhein-wein.com/winzer/adressliste.pdf

Many wineries offer onsite accommodations as well.

A pretty complete online guide: flyhahn.com/regions/holiday-regions-germany-…

Bavaria Ben's trip reports are always full of impressions and tips. Have a look at the second half of this one for itiinerary ideas:

bensbauernhof.com/schwarzwaldmoselrhine2006.…

NI
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 days in the rhine /Mosel area itinerary

Thank you so much for this information. Do you think it's better to have one/two bases to cover the region. If so is Cochem a good one, or could you recommend a couple that I could check out hotels/apartments. Thanks again.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 days in the rhine /Mosel area itinerary

Hi,

In September 2010 I drove the Rhein from Mainz to Koblenz, and then the Mosel from Koblenz to Trier. Both were very scenic, relaxing drives.

Trier was a very interesting city with its cathedral and Porta Nigra dating back to Roman times.

I spent a night in the Hotel Baeren in Bernkastel-Kues, which was a charming little hotel that took its name (Hotel Bears) pretty literally, with stuffed Teddy bears throughout and even gummi bears for you in the room.

Koblenz was an interesting city with the Deutsches Eck at the confluence of the Mosel and Rhein rivers.

I also stayed near Boppard along the Rhein.

My recommendation would be a night in Trier, a night perhaps in or near Bernkastel-Kues, a night or two in or near Cochem, perhaps a night in Koblenz, and finally a night or two in Boppard, Sankt Goar, or Bacharach where you can take a day to cruise the Rhein. (I read another poster suggest that you cruise downstream and take the train upstream back to your starting point. Bacharach or Sankt Goar may be better places to follow that advice.)

You don't mention what time of year you'll be traveling. I was there in September and there were lots of fall harvest activities going on, and the region seemed to have a lot of Germans visiting as well. I was lucky and got my hotels without reservations, but I would encourage you to make them that time of year, especially on weekends.

Enjoy your planning.

NI
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 days in the rhine /Mosel area itinerary

Thanks a lot for this. Sounds really beautiful. Will be there early/mid July.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,736 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 days in the rhine /Mosel area itinerary

"Do you think it's better to have one/two bases to cover the region. If so is Cochem a good one, or could you recommend a couple that I could check out hotels/apartments."

Cochem is a perfect base town for all the Mosel towns - it's mid-way between Koblenz and Trier. I like St. Goar on the Rhine, but Bacharach and Boppard are also very nice. Two bases IMO beats changing hotels whenever you visit a new town (as zed has suggested) but we all have our own ways of doing things.

Ashby de la Zouch...
Level Contributor
2 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 6 days in the rhine /Mosel area itinerary

We too are off for a 6 day Rhine/Mosel holiday in July. We lived in Germany for many years and this area was within driving distance for weekend breaks, so we have done places in isolation previously and now looking forward to a tour to take in our favourites and to reminisce and indulge the food memories and wine. As Russ suggests 2 bases will work well for us, one on each side of our circular route and in my opinion Cochem is a must. Here is our scenic car tour itinerary Koblenz - Cochem - Traben Trarbach- Bernkastel Kues - Trier - Bad Kreuznach - Bingen - St Goar - Boppard - Koblenz. I don't think you will be disappointed it is a beautiful area. B&B accommodation is generally excellent in Germany you may find you have to book minimum of 2 night stays in peak season. In July it is advisable to book accommodation in advance, but out of peak season the freedom of 'zimmer-ing' (possibly a made up term from our community) where you book a room ad hoc on your journey wherever you happen to be that day is great fun and less restrictive.

NI
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 6 days in the rhine /Mosel area itinerary

Thanks a lot. I think Cochem sounds great so that's a definite. If we were to have a second base on your itinerary where would you suggest.

Ashby de la Zouch...
Level Contributor
2 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 6 days in the rhine /Mosel area itinerary

My other preferred place to stay overnight on the Mosel would be Bernkastel. On the Rhein we will probably stay at either Bingen, St Goar or Boppard, decision not yet made. Would like to stay at Bad Kreuznach but not at the extra expense of staying in a spa town! It really depends on the sort of place you like and the things you want to do, eg cable cars, castles, river cruises, walking or driving, eating and drinking and taking it easy. There are some lovely quieter places as you wind along the rivers, for example my mother loved Zell. My father prefers Boppard or Ruedesheim and my step mother also favours the Rhine side. Trier and Koblenz are much bigger places and although nice to visit I prefer to stay in smaller towns. In the evenings all we want to do is chill, find a a menu that we like and walk leisurely round the bars with a bit of people watching thrown in. I hope you have a great time and the weather is kind, I'm certainly hoping for blue skies as we are specifically driving over in the convertible, much to my father's consternation as he would like us to take them with us ;)

NI
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 6 days in the rhine /Mosel area itinerary

You are all so helpful, thank you. So great in fact that now we are all sorted for the last three days of our holiday with an apartment booked in cochem. We have now to get the first 3 days sorted and are wondering, travelling from Maastrict how far is feasible to travel for our first three days in the rhine area. We've been told strassburg is particularly beautiful. Is it do-able (made up word) and worth the drive. if so are there any really nice towns,worth a visit and are there daily cruises. We def want to cruise on the rhine at least one day. Or are we are better to stay around the rhine /mosel region. Grateful for any thought on this.