We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weigh in on my planned itinerary - Dusseldorf to Frankfurt

oklahoma city
Level Contributor
78 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
weigh in on my planned itinerary - Dusseldorf to Frankfurt

On May 8th I fly into Dusseldorf from Rome. I fly back to the US on May 14th from Frankfurt. I'm trying to finalize my itinerary between the two. There will be 3 adults, a three year old and an 18-month old.

What do you think about the following:

May 8th:

12:45 arrive in Dusseldorf. Have lunch.

4:00 - train to Cologne

dinner, relax

May 9th:

Dom in the morning

noon - train to Braubach

Marksburg castle

overnight in Braubach

May 10th - visit several towns and castles - St. Goar's Rheinfels Castle, Boppard chair lift, etc.

overnight in Braubach

May 11th - Burg Eltz and visit a winery along the rhine (what's a good winery to visit)

overnight ?

May 12th - ?

May 13 - overnight in Frankfurt (or Mainz with train direct to airport in the am)

May 14th - plane departs Frankfurt at 9:45am

I thought about staying in Heidelburg on the 11th and 12th. I also thought about another night in Braubach or Boppard on the 11th and maybe the 12th and 13th staying in Mainz.

I've really struggled with this part of the trip. I don't want to move around too much between hotels with the kids in tow.

oklahoma city
Level Contributor
78 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weigh in on my planned itinerary - Dusseldorf to Frankfurt

okay, I just booked Hotel Ohm Patt in Boppard for the 9th, 10th and 11th. So, that leaves me with flexibility for the 12th and 13th - knowing I need to be at the Frankfurt airport for a 9:45 am flight on the 14th.

Would I be better of staying in Mainz or in Frankfurt?

We will have had our fill of big cities with a week in Paris and a week in Rome prior to reaching Germany, so I don't mind if we miss out on museums and such in Frankfurt.

We are more into peaceful relaxing times, especially since we have a LONG flight ahead of us on the 14th.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
7,120 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weigh in on my planned itinerary - Dusseldorf to Frankfurt

9th: Although you're headed for Boppard now, you can still see Marksburg this day if you wish. In Koblenz, stow bags in a locker and switch trains for Braubach, an 11-min. train ride.

10th: I would include a visit to Bacharach too.

11th: If you're going up the Mosel for Burg Eltz, then stay there. Cochem is absolutely fetching. Head straight to Cochem via Koblenz, drop bags at hotel, and enjoy the old cobblestoned old town on a long walk. Take an afternoon boat cruise up to Beilstein and back, visit Reichsburg Castle and/or the see the falconry show at the castle.

burg-cochem.de/english/gallery_exterior.htm

falknerei-reichsburg-cochem.de/fotobuch.htm

http://www.kolb-mosel.de/en/index.php

12th: Day trip to Burg Eltz, Cochem.

13th: I'd go with Mainz. It's not nearly the big city that Frankfurt is, very walkable. I prefer staying in/near the old town rather than the main train station, although the hotel choices are limited. The IBIS is conveniently located one block from the Mainz Römisches Theater train station (not the main station) and a short walk from the old town, the city park (Stadtpart) and the river. The MRT station is now an archaelological site - they've been unearthing an old Roman theater there at the rear set of tracks for a number of years (hence the station name.) Direct S-bahn trains to FRA run at 6:06, 7:06 and take 23 min.

Edited: 8:45 am, April 10, 2012
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
40,569 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: weigh in on my planned itinerary - Dusseldorf to Frankfurt

I would also suggest Mainz.

mainz.de/WGAPublisher/…hpkr-5nkgnz.en.html

> Direct S-bahn trains to FRA run at 6:06, 7:0

06:06, 06:14 (RE), 06:36, 07:06, 07:14 (RE), 07:36

The RE trains need only 20 minutes.

Single ticket for the S-Bahn or the RE trains is EUR 4,10. Covers also the trams and buses in Mainz if needed. For under 6 year olds you need no tickets.

The below tickets are all local public transport tickets. They cover regional trains, S-Bahn, Stadtbahn (mixture of tram and metro), trams and buses. Long distance trains like IC/EC and ICE are not covered. When checking connections with the DB timetable select as means of transport "only local transport".

8th airport - Düsseldorf - Cologne (Köln)

VRR/VRS mini group day ticket price level 5: EUR 31,30

9th Cologne - Koblenz - Braubach - Boppard

two tickets

3 x VRS single ticket Cologne - Bonn (price level 4): EUR 7,10 per person

1 x Rheinland-Pfalz Ticket for 3: EUR 29,00

vrminfo.de/en/…

10th-12th VRM 3-days mini group ticket EUR 40,00

Covers all listed places (Boppard, Koblenz, Braubach, St. Goar, Moselkern (Burg Eltz), Cochem) besides Bacharach. In doubt see the map on the VRM website. Covers also the ferry St. Goar - St. Goarshausen.

13th Cochem to Mainz

1 x Rheinland-Pfalz Ticket for 3: EUR 29,00

oklahoma city
Level Contributor
78 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: weigh in on my planned itinerary - Dusseldorf to Frankfurt

this is great feedback! I will look at staying in Mainz rather than Frankfurt, especially if it's only a 25 minute train ride. How much time should I actually leave to get from the airport train station to the gates?

abalada - thank you for the great details on the transportation - should I book all of that in advance or is it simple to just walk up and buy a ticket (our German isn't good by any stretch of the imagination).

On the 9th, if the VRS single ticket from Cologne takes us through Bonn is it worth getting of the train and exploring Bonn (or having lunch)? or should we just head straight for the train/bus to Koblenz?

Russ: On the 9th you are suggesting seeing Marksburg before heading to Boppard, right (as opposed to checking in at the hotel and then traveling back up to Marksburg)? I think that might be a good idea - thanks!

Do you think we can do Burg Eltz as a day trip, or are we better off packing our bags and moving to Cochem for one night? Less packing and setting in may make things a bit easier on the little ones. Assuming we want to Cochem from Boppard the morning of the 12th and then go from Cochem to Mainz that evening (leaving the 13th to explore Mainz) what is the best way to do that, transportation wise? Assuming, too, that we are using the VRM 3-days mini group ticket. What would be the round-trip travel time that day (wondering if it's just too much for the kids). I'm just thinking that it would be nice to just relax in Mainz on the 13th and not do any traveling since we have a long flight the next morning.

I couldn't find the VRM 3-days mini group tickets on the website - am I missing it?

Thank you again for this awesome feedback. If you ever travel to Oklahoma City, OK I will return the favor!!! Not sure how I could travel without all this help.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
40,569 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: weigh in on my planned itinerary - Dusseldorf to Frankfurt

> should I book all of that in advance or is it simple to just walk up and buy a ticket (our German isn't good by any stretch of the imagination).

You can buy all recommended tickets on spot. For some tickets this is the only option anyway. You can buy all these tickets from ticket machines which can be switched to English. Also the staff at the counters will know sufficient English to sell you the right tickets. Some are however more expensive when bought at the counter.

> On the 9th, if the VRS single ticket from Cologne takes us through Bonn is it worth getting of the train and exploring Bonn (or having lunch)? or should we just head straight for the train/bus to Koblenz?

If you want to visit the Marksburg same day not. Just stay seated in Bonn.

> Do you think we can do Burg Eltz as a day trip

Yes

> or are we better off packing our bags and moving to Cochem for one night?

No.

> Assuming we want to Cochem from Boppard the morning of the 12th and then go from Cochem to Mainz that evening (leaving the 13th to explore Mainz) what is the best way to do that, transportation wise?

Train to Koblenz Hbf where you have to change anyway, store your luggage in one of the lockers there. Proceed to Cochem. And collect your luggage on the way from Cochem to Mainz. Cochem station has no lockers.

> Assuming, too, that we are using the VRM 3-days mini group ticket.

Does than not pay for anymore as the VRM ticket won't get you to Mainz. You need a Rheinland-Pfalz Ticket for this day.

> What would be the round-trip travel time that day (wondering if it's just too much for the kids).

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Start: Boppard Hbf

Destination: Cochem(Mosel)

Start: Cochem(Mosel)

Destination: Mainz Hbf

and change the duration of transfer to "at least 20 minutes" to store/get your luggage. You don't need to add the travel times of both legs however. That's like with hiking. The kids recover/forget faster than the adults.

> I couldn't find the VRM 3-days mini group tickets on the website - am I missing it?

vrminfo.de/en/…c423

The fares are in the first table "Price table for day tickets" on this page.

Edited: 3:30 am, April 17, 2012
Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
7,120 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: weigh in on my planned itinerary - Dusseldorf to Frankfurt

Yes, on the 9th, see Marksburg after leaving stuff in Koblenz lockers. Fetch it when you return to Koblenz on the way to Boppard.

I think a daytrip to Cochem from Boppard would be fine for most travelers but you have small children - and having a place in Cochem for diapers, naps, unforeseen whatevers is a big advantage.

oklahoma city
Level Contributor
78 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: weigh in on my planned itinerary - Dusseldorf to Frankfurt

If I wanted to take advantage of the "ferry St. Goar - St. Goarshausen." using my three-day ticket - what is there to see and is it worthwhile? How do I use it for that?

Also, I think I decided to have lunch in Dusseldorf after we land at the airport. After strolling around Dusseldorf for a few hours, we will then head to Cologne.

oklahoma city
Level Contributor
78 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: weigh in on my planned itinerary - Dusseldorf to Frankfurt

I'm in Boppard now and wanted to say thanks to all who gave suggestions. I'm absolutely loving my stay.

9. Re: weigh in on my planned itinerary - Dusseldorf to Frankfurt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 am, June 19, 2013