We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Koblenz to Mainz itinerary

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
43 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Help with Koblenz to Mainz itinerary

We are spending a few days in the Rhine Valley in July between Koblenz and Mainz as part of a 3 month trip through Europe (with Eurail pass) and I need some help with an itinerary (bit confused after reading all the forums!)

We will be coming from Amsterdam so I had planned to do Amsterdam to Koblenz, have two full days in the area then catch a train to Vienna from Mainz (this is a long trip so will need to spend the last night in Mainz in order to catch an early train.)

I like the idea of staying in St Goar for a night as it sounds like a lovely place, and would like to see Marksburg Castle, otherwise am open to ideas. I have 2 ideas for an itinerary below, but not sure if these are unrealistic and not sure of timings either so would welcome any suggestions!

Day 1 Amsterdam to Koblenz, stay in Koblenz

Day 2 Morning train to Braubach for Marksburg castle, return to Koblenz for bags and train to St Goar. Stay St Goar

Day 3 Spend morning seeing St Goar then cruise to Mainz. Stay Mainz.

Day 4 Mainz to Vienna.

Day 1 Amsterdam - Koblenz, stay in Koblenz

Day 2 Cruise Koblenz to St Goar, spend afternoon seeing St Goar

Day 3 Ferry to Braubach for Marksburg Castle, then back to St Goar to cruise to Bingen then train to Mainz.

Day 4 Mainz - Vienna

Many thanks in advance.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
7,135 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Koblenz to Mainz itinerary

Stayng in Koblenz isn't very interesting. I'd stay in one of the villages instead. St. Goar works fine.

You're cruising upstream - much slower. Skip Koblenz and just change trains there for St. Goar instead. Stay nights 1-2 in one place - St. Goar. On Day 2, take the train south to Bingen or Bacharach to start your cruise north (11:15 from Bacharach) to Braubach (1:20) for a tour of Marksburg. Bacharach is an especally scenic town that you'll want to spend the morning in. Then head back to St. Goar for the evening or see another town if there's time.

On Day 3 you can try cruising south if you want to Bingen, but I think I'd just as soon take the train, or visit Boppard, north of St. Goar, if spending a most of the day in Mainz doesn't appeal to you. Mainz is actually a really nice city, very atmospheric around the Dom in the old town.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
43 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Koblenz to Mainz itinerary

Thanks so much for your reply and suggestion - this sounds like a great itinerary and Im going to follow it exactly! Thanks again.

Gold Bar, Washington
Level Contributor
585 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with Koblenz to Mainz itinerary

mainz.de/WGAPublisher/…mkuz-5v9lmb.en.html en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Stephen's_Church,_Mainz

links for st stephen's church and chagall windows.

www.mainz.de for Mainz. info. I liked Mainz.

4. Re: Help with Koblenz to Mainz itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:23 am, October 19, 2010