We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paderborn with a Teen

Round Hill, Virginia
Level Contributor
20 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Paderborn with a Teen

Thanks to all for the travel suggestions on getting to Paderborn in my previous post!

Now, I'm looking for suggestions for my 15-yr old son who will be traveling with me. I'll be in a conference most of the time. My son will be a student volunteer, but will have a lot of free time compared to me. Any suggestions for what he could safely do while I'm in the conference? He is learning German (part of the reason I'm bringing him) and can at least handle the basics of asking directions, ordering food, etc. Being an American and living near D.C., I'm not altogether comfortable just turning him loose in a city. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Also, any advice on things to see close to Paderborn if I get 1/2 to 1 day free from the conference?

Thanks!

HNF MuseumsForum
Specialty Museums
Rathaus
Historic Sites, Architectural Buildings, Lookouts, Civic Centers, Government Buildings
4 replies to this topic
Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,337 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Paderborn with a Teen

Here are my tips about Paderborn: members.virtualtourist.com/m/f86bd/7334/

How much of this will be of interest to a teen, that's another question. But there is no need to worry if he is roaming the city on his own. Paderborn isn't the Bronx.

Round Hill, Virginia
Level Contributor
20 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paderborn with a Teen

Thanks! And I know that German and Austrian cities are generally very safe (extremely so compared to the US). It's just a difficult cultural barrier to overcome when it's your own child.

Is Paderborn easy to get around without getting lost? I'll be at the Heinz Nixdorf Museum, so that should be an easy point to locate.

What about renting a mobile phone? My phone is 4G and enabled for international access, but he just has a basic cell phone that is not internationally enabled.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,608 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paderborn with a Teen

Here is another link

paderborn.de/microsite/…

You can buy a German sim card, eg. Otelo (9,90 Euro) for your son, so that he can call you and send sms.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,337 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Paderborn with a Teen

If your son is capable of reading a street map, and carries one, he should not get lost.

Reply to: Paderborn with a Teen
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted