We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants: booking/'walk-ins'/recommended

Sheffield England
Level Contributor
480 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants: booking/'walk-ins'/recommended

Hi there we're coming to Dusseldorf on Friday 2nd December - to enjoy Dusseldorf and the Old Town in general but also because the Christmas Markets are on at this time.

We've eaten in Hausbraurerei Zum Schlussel & Zum Schiffchen and thought it would be best to book a table for our night of arrival at least. However both places show no availability for that Friday (which surprised us as it's still more than 4 weeks away).

Does anyone know if either of these two restaurants keep any tables free for people to walk in and wait in line on the night, or do they work solely on pre-bookings?

Any other restaurants recommendations will be welcome by the way - we're in Dusseldorf for 3 full days and need breakfast, lunch (or brunch) and dinner on all three!

Many thanks in advance.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,118 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants: booking/'walk-ins'/recommended

As long as there is not a big group of you, I expect you will be able to squeeze in somewhere without a reservation. You may have to share a table with others. But that is normal in Germany.

Friday and Saturday nights are very busy at the traditional brewery restaurants in the Altstadt.

My recommendation is Im Goldenen Kessel, opposite to Schlussel. This is a restaurant owned by the Schumacher brewery. Their main restaurant is on Oststrasse, near the Hbf. Excellent beer.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,118 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants: booking/'walk-ins'/recommended

There are some Japanese restaurants over towards the Hbf side of town. D'dorf has a large Japanese population, I understand.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants: booking/'walk-ins'/recommended

I can recommend "Seoul", I've forgotten the exact address so you'd have to google it. (Somewhere near Immermannstraße.) It's obviously a Korean restaurant and it's really good.

You could also try out "Mongo's" at the Media Harbour. That's a Mongolian barbecue. You select the meat and they barbecue it for you. What makes this restaurant special is that they have things like zebra or crocodile.

Yes, there are some Japanese restaurants, e.g. the Na Ni Wa. But I can't tell you whether it's good because I never had a chance to try it. It's always quite crowded, especially on a Saturday when I was there. Anyway, it's not far from the Seoul, so if it's crowded, you know where to go instead ;-)

Edited: 2:09 pm, November 01, 2016
Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,982 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants: booking/'walk-ins'/recommended

If you don´t need a "full english breakfast" I can recommend the bistro "Zicke " for a nice breakfast and lunch

http://www.bistro-zicke.de/index.html

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
1,153 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants: booking/'walk-ins'/recommended

For Breakfast: Rosies, Schiff Ahoi, Muggel, Spoerl Fabrik, Zicke

Lunch/Dinner: Menta, Basils, Rosies, Curry, Donna Cannone, Breweries in Altstadt, Saitta restaurants in Oberkassel, Sila Thai, Dolar House, etc :) tons of stuff

Re the breweries: Typically you can squeeze in and they have space for walk ins. Just consider that these days are quite popular for corporate christmas parties...

Sheffield England
Level Contributor
480 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants: booking/'walk-ins'/recommended

thank you!

Sheffield England
Level Contributor
480 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants: booking/'walk-ins'/recommended

Thanks everyone - we've booked the Fischaus for Friday - which I"m pleased we've been able to do.

We certainly plan on trying Zicke for ;brunch' (I do like a full english but only in England! "when in Rome" as they say...)

I'll have a look out for the others. I"m more laid back about the other days as we have a must wider window of time when we can decide to eat!

Many thanks again.....

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,982 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants: booking/'walk-ins'/recommended

This might be a good choice.

Beside these restaurats I would indeed go by your taste. And as there are many stalls at the Christmas Markets perhaps you will try some specialities there.

Sheffield England
Level Contributor
480 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants: booking/'walk-ins'/recommended

We most certainly will Patara01. Thank you.

10. Re: Restaurants: booking/'walk-ins'/recommended

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, November 10, 2017