We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is Dusseldorf like during New Year's Eve?

Brighouse, UK
Level Contributor
32 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
What is Dusseldorf like during New Year's Eve?

Hi,

My girlfriend and I are thinking of going somewhere for New Year's Eve. I've narrowed it down to Dusseldorf and Copenhagen.

Copenhagen sound good but seems a bit on the expensive side.

So here are a few questions so I can make up my mind. We are in our early 30,s so are not looking for party-party-party, but we do want to hit the bars.

1. Will we have to fight our way to the bar all the time?

2. Will it be booking only for bars and restaurants?

3. Any good hotel recomendations for about 100 euro per night? We would ideally like one near to the central sights.

4. How much for a beer?

5. How far is the airport from the centre? And how much will it be by taxi?

6. In the UK, New Year's Eve is a major thing. People are packed like sardines into every pub. There also might be vomiting and fighting! Is Dusseldorf more cultured than all of this?

Thanks in advance,

Jason

Yorkshire
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: What is Dusseldorf like during New Year's Eve?

Hi Jason

My boyfriend and I have just come back from Dusseldorf as we have family who is based out there (army)

The airport is about 15min from the centre if that

The flights cost is about £54 each return (total bargin)

Hotels I have yet to look as we stayed with family, I will have to keep you posted about that as we are looking at the mo because we are going back for the new year celerations with freinds.

The prices are very reasonable and the shopping is out of this world (more for your girl i would say though!!)

The people are great however like all cities i am sure there are a select few that would get loud and a more dunk than they could handle.

I am not sure what it will be like as far as getting to the bar, however i do know that it will be fantastic and thats good enough for me.

If you do end up going i am sure you will have an amazing time

I am just looking on line now to see what goes on new year as it is very big in Germany too so i am sure there will be lots of attractions and parties, firework displays etc..

Hope you get there

Nikki

Brighouse, UK
Level Contributor
32 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is Dusseldorf like during New Year's Eve?

Thanks Nikki,

We have booked it! Saying at the Hotel Nikko for 2 days over New Year. Can't wait!

Thanks for the reply

Jason

ireland
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is Dusseldorf like during New Year's Eve?

we are also staying at the hotel nikko....great reviews and very very central to everything

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,651 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is Dusseldorf like during New Year's Eve?

Can't speak for Dusseldorf but our experience in Frankfurt last year was pretty good.

Firstly, you might want to pre-book somewhere to eat. We went to Germany as a late decision because we were bored with local choices available to us and it took us an hour or so of wandering around the most touristy area of Frankfurt to find somewhere with a table. When we did find somewhere, though, the atmoshere was great.

Secondly, try to be out on the streets for about 23:45, preferably somewhere where lots of people have gathered. In Frankfurt (and apparently in all the Rhine towns and villages we drove through on NY Day) lots of people go onto the streets and let fireworks off - thousands of them. We'd never allow it here because of "health and safety". Is it just me or is H&S nowadays just an excuse to stop people doing things they might enjoy?

Anyway, this was great fun and went on for about an hour before it started to rain heavily and we fled for our hotel. NB - lots of people were drinking champagne or German sparkling wine, which is excellent, then setting off rockets from the empty bottles - well I hope they were empty. Nobody seemed to mind that people were consuming alcohol on the streets and we didn't see any excessive drunkenness.

We're going back to Frankfurt this year. Hope you have a great time in Dusseldorf.

5. Re: What is Dusseldorf like during New Year's Eve?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 pm, September 14, 2009