We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Day travel help

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
25 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
One Day travel help

Hello

I am arriving in Dusseldorf June 15th 2014 at 8:00 am (Sunday) I have a whole day and a whole night and have a connecting flight the next day June 16th 2014 (Monday).

I want to take advantage to how close I am to Amsterdam and travel there by train and spend the day in this city, it would be a dream come true!

Can someone advice me on the best way to travel there, (Train) where to purchase the tickets? Online? In advanced? Is this possible on a sunday?

Thank you!!!!

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
4,137 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Day travel help

Buy the tickets online as soon as they become available. This will be 90 days before the trip, so around April 15. The reason for this is that there are saver fares that you can only get if you buy your ticket well ahead of time. If you buy it on the day of travel, you can only get the "normal fare", which is much more expensive.

The only downside to the saver fare tickets is that they are only valid for the train you bought them for. So if your plane was delayed, you'd lose your ticket and you'd have to buy a new one.

Anyway, have a look at the connection on www.bahn.de - the saver fares are displayed automatically, so you can experiment a bit and look up a connection for tomorrow, for May 2, for June 2, just to see what it does to the price.

Dusseldorf, Germany
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: One Day travel help

I agree with Petra. Just to make it a bit easier for you, here is a link where you can book your train in English language: http://www.bahn.de/i/view/DEU/en/index.shtml

You should look for it as follows:

To: AMSTERDAM CENTRAAL arr 13:27

To: DÜSSELDORF FLUGHAFEN (DUS) arr 09:27 or arr 09:31

It will cost you € 87.60 ($ 122.00) if you buy it now - later the price can increase (depend on availability).

The price is for return ticket (both ways).

Once in Amsterdam Centraal train station, you don't even need a taxi. Centrum is within a walking distance.

Hope this answers your questions, have a nice trip :)

www.orbistravels.com

3. Re: One Day travel help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 12, 2015