We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The best & easier way to get to Dusseldorf?

in the desert
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
The best & easier way to get to Dusseldorf?

Hi!

We are flying to London and stay 2 days there before going to Dusseldorf.

We will fly home from Dusseldorf.

We dont know the best & cheaper & fastest & scentic way to get there. Fly? Train? ferry?

Weare thinking of stopping in Rouen, France...Amsterdam or someplace worthwhile. It has to be just one good city to visit since we only have 2-3 days window before getting to Dusseldorf. We will stay in Dusseldorf at least 4 days before going home.

Paris is out due to huge city and not enough time to explore. Smaller city would be better. We love history and the soul & charm of a city. Any country that we must go instead of France?

What would you do if you are in my shoes?

Mentioned in this post
Rouen
Rouen
Seine-Maritime, France
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The best & easier way to get to Dusseldorf?

If you are booking a month ahead and can travel offpeak, I suggest an EasyJet flight from Stanstead, Gatwick or Luton. (www.easyjey.com). e.g. Gatwick-Amsterdam 10th March, 1045 flight ��22.99 plus 5 pounds tax, plus 4 pounds per kilo for baggage over 20 kilos. They are a low cost carrier so you must arrive ontime or you will lose your seat and money.

If you book nearer to departure the price goes up.

Then complete your journey by train.

Cologne is another option, but rather close to Dusseldorf.

Mentioned in this post
Cologne
Cologne
North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
in the desert
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The best & easier way to get to Dusseldorf?

Hi Dave!

So, you think going to Amsterdam is better than traveling on train through France with a stop in one of french city on the way to Germany?

Will the C O L D weather be a problem visiting ? Whatthe weather would be like in Europe in April? Remember we live in the hot dry desert. LOL

What is Cologne like? If it is close to Dusseldorf, we'll probably visit in a day trip from there...perhap by train?

Iam open to any idea. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Germany
Germany
Europe
Cologne
Cologne
North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The best & easier way to get to Dusseldorf?

I have given you what is probably the cheapest and quickest option which is what I would do today - but it may not be best for you.

The obvious places to stop over by train are Lille which I don't know or Brussels which is large and rather expensive. These are direct Eurostar destinations with onward connections to Dusseldorf, changing only once or twice on the second leg. If you enjoy trains you might do something more complicated, it all adds on connections time and cost (and you'll be doing all this with your baggage). Dinant is a small town (maybe too small) in the south of Belgium which is very nice for example, one change in Brussels 5 hour trip. To check out the train services I suggest you try www.bahn.de, click for English, and try a few of the journeys you may need to make to see how many changes there are. Rouen is 5 hours from London by train, change stations in Paris.

I know what you mean about climate as we have visitors from Phoenix who like to come over in the summer for some cool and humidity. Europe in April will be cooler than London, moderate temperature.

What would I do ? I'd go by train, travel light, and try Reims where I haven't been before. (Pronounced rance, I think)

Mentioned in this post
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Belgium
Belgium
Europe
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Hanover, Germany
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: The best & easier way to get to Dusseldorf?

For the weather have a look at -- www.WeatherBase.com --.

in the desert
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: The best & easier way to get to Dusseldorf?

We finally settled on Paris on theway to Dusseldorf from London. We will take the Eurostar.

Anything we should know? I am nervouse planning thisall by myself. I used to do two european cruise things and they just sail the ship and I just dine & sleep and get myself to ports & back on time! LOL!

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The best & easier way to get to Dusseldorf?

You''ll find a huge amount of information on the Paris page, unfortunately I haven't been there.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France