We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel to dortmund from Dusseldorf by train

Dublin, Ireland
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
travel to dortmund from Dusseldorf by train

There are 15 of us travelling over to watch Dortmund on 8th Feb. We have confirmation of the match tickets with seat numbers and block number from BVB ticketing office. We do not have the actual tickets themselves. Are these acceptable at the train station to get the free train travel from DUSSELDORF to Dortmund and back. I heard it was but need definite confirmation if anyone knows. It might save us about €300. Thanks in advance. Dave in Dublin.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,555 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: travel to dortmund from Dusseldorf by train

> Are these acceptable at the train station to get the free train travel from DUSSELDORF to Dortmund

No.

> and back

I assume that you will have the tickets at this point of time.

But this plays not really any role as the cheapest option to get to Dortmund is to buy 3 mini group day tickets. One of them costs EUR 38 (VRR price level D). Thus 3 x EUR 38,00 in total. These day tickets are valid till 3am next day.

http://www.vrr.de/en/index.html

Dublin, Ireland
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: travel to dortmund from Dusseldorf by train

Thank you. Is these mini day tickets for 5 people each and allows travel both ways. Did your reply mean that even we had the actual match tickets we would not be entitled to free travel as I has read differwently on trip advisor recentl. Once again, many thanks for the reply.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,555 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: travel to dortmund from Dusseldorf by train

> Is these mini day tickets for 5 people each

Yes.

> and allows travel both ways.

You can do this on a day ticket. You can travel the whole day forth and back between both cities if you like ;-)

> Did your reply mean that even we had the actual match tickets we would not be entitled to free travel as I has read differwently on trip advisor recentl.

No. But if you own already day tickets - cheaper than 5 singles - it plays no role for the trip back if you do it for free on the match tickets of just use the mini group day tickets also for traveling back.

4. Re: travel to dortmund from Dusseldorf by train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, January 30, 2014