We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Germany - Whitsun Sunday & Monday

CO
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Topic
Germany - Whitsun Sunday & Monday

Hi all,

We will be arriving in Germany on Whitsun Sunday in 08 and was wondering if anyone could tell me how much this holiday will impact our visit? Will everything be closed (restaurants, siteseeing venues, etc) on Sunday and/or Monday? Sunday we will be in the Dusseldorf area and Monday in the Bamberg/Nurenberg area - (I think different areas of Germany celebrate this differently). I'd appreciate any information you can provide. Thanks!

Dusseldorf, Germany
Level Contributor
172 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Germany - Whitsun Sunday & Monday

I had to look up the word Whitsun first to understand your question ;-) In Germany it is called Pfingsten.

Sunday/Monday will be public holiday - that means that the stores are closed - not neccessarily anything else - that really depends on the owner of restaurants etc - there is no general rule or anything.

Pfingsten will be celebrated with parades in some parts of Germany (I can imagine in Nuernberg maybe - but rather in the rural areas). Bavaria is more traditional in these kind of things than other parts of Germany.

Monday is the day when the museums are closed - but there are exceptions to the rule. It is best to call up the points of interest and find out in advance - than you are on the safe side.

Pfingsten is a perfect time to come to Germany - nice weather (well - there are always exceptions to the rule).

2. Re: Germany - Whitsun Sunday & Monday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, September 14, 2009