We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train travel along Rhine

Overland Park, KS
Level Contributor
70 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Train travel along Rhine

I'm interested in getting on the train in Cologne and making stops at Remagen, Andernach, Boppard and Bingen. After spending the night in Bingen, I'd like to take a Rhine cruise to Koblenz and then catch the train back to Cologne. Is this too many stops in one day? Will I be able to see the attractions in these towns without a car? Is Bingen a good place to spend the night? Should I try to go to Ahrweiler on the way to Bingen and then Remagen on the way back to Cologne? I'm hoping to carry a backpack with a change of clothes and leave the suitcase at the Cologne hotel; do you think that's acceptable?

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,476 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train travel along Rhine

To make Day 1 a little simpler I would stop over only in Remagen and Andernach on the way south to Bingen (or perhaps one more place if it seems doable that pm - St. Goar, Oberwesel, Bacharach?) On the return, take the boat only as far as Boppard and visit there prior to your train ride to Cologne. The ride between Boppard and Koblenz is a good bit less impressive and would require a lengthy walk with your pack to the station through mostly modern Koblenz.

Just returned from a 2-night stay at the NH Bingen, which enjoys a terrific spot on the river promenade with a delicious view and a fine breakfast:

https://foto.hrsstatic.com/fotos/0/3/920/613…

The town of Bingen is relatively unremarkable. You might find Bacharach or Oberwesel more interesting if you'll have time there in the evening; morning trains to Bingen would start very early.

Luggage storage would in Cologne would be up to your hotel. But that doesn't sound out of the question to me.

2. Re: Train travel along Rhine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 24, 2015