We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about Rhine cruises starting in Cologne

Olhao, Portugal
Level Contributor
27 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Questions about Rhine cruises starting in Cologne

I'll be in Cologne in the middle of May and I would like to do a Rhine cruise.

1) I've seen that KD cruises do the Rhine cruise starting from Cologne. Are there other operators?

2) What are de best places to see/stop in the Rhine cruise?

3) What would it be your last stop before returning to Cologne? Should I return by boat or by train?

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,655 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about Rhine cruises starting in Cologne

KD cruises is the main provider for these trips.

The common view is that the trips between Mainz and Koblenz (with stops at Bingen etc) is the most scenic part in that region, but you could take the ship to from Cologne to Linz (Rhein), which is a beautiful medival town.

So your options could be:

Take the ship from Cologne and head to Linz, passing Remagen, Koenigswinter etc. spend some time in Linz, walking the town square, visiting the local museum, and then after two hours take the ship back (around 3 hours). Or just do one way with the ship, and the other way by train (direct train takes around 1 hour). Done that trip a few times, and find it rather nice and relaxing.

Second option is - take the train to Koblenz, then stay on the ship, and maybe leave the ship at Bingen, and take the train back to Cologne. As the ship only leaves Koblenz around 2pm, you could spend some time there.

I never done that specific trip, but it get good reviews.

Here is the link for the KD website and the timetable

http://www.kdrhine.com/

http://www.kdrhine.com/rhineschedule.htm

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
7,873 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about Rhine cruises starting in Cologne

Keep in mind that the Rhine runs south to north, so cruising with the current is a lot faster than going upriver. Consider starting the trip by train to Bingen from where you can take the KD cruise through the most scenic part of the Rhine valley to Boppard or Koblenz.

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,655 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about Rhine cruises starting in Cologne

Good point Oli. Didn't see that some ships leave in the afternoon to Koblenz or Boppard (getting there for the early departure time could be a challenge with a very early start from Cologne) - and would make a nice day a bit shorter and maybe more manageable

Olhao, Portugal
Level Contributor
27 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about Rhine cruises starting in Cologne

If I start the cruise at Bingen at 9h30 I'll reach Koblenz at 13h10. Do I have time to take a train to Linz to catch the boat that departs at 16h50 to Cologne? How long is the trip by train from Cologne to Bingen?

Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
Level Contributor
1,869 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about Rhine cruises starting in Cologne

Train schedules:

www.bahn.de/i/view/DEU/en

In Koblenz it takes almost half an hour to walk from the boat to the station. Still plenty of time to catch the train to Linz.

I suggest you spend some time in Linz, if possible also in some of the other small towns (Bacharach, Oberwesel, Boppard).

Olhao, Portugal
Level Contributor
27 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions about Rhine cruises starting in Cologne

What will I see (castles,vineyards,etc) if I do the cruise from:

a) Cologne to Linz

b) Bingen to Koblenz

Can I use the same boat ticket to go from Cologne to Linz and return? Or if I go from Bingen to Koblenz and than from Linz to Cologne?

7. Re: Questions about Rhine cruises starting in Cologne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, April 11, 2015