We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Happy weekend ticket- valid on MRB trains?

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
7 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Happy weekend ticket- valid on MRB trains?

I have the following question regarding the happy weekend ticket which I intend to use during my trip to Cologne in July 2014 for the Rhine valley cruise. I will be based in Cologne and, after researching this site, I decided to travel by train to Bingen, then by boat to St. Goar. Afterwards I will return by train to Cologne and make several stops along the way ( Oberwesel, Bacharach).

On the DB Bahn web site I have found that "The Schönes-Wochenende-Ticket is valid on: All local rail services from DB AG (S-Bahn, RB, IRE, RE) on services offered by many transport associations and on non-federal railways.......".

On the DB Bahn timetable Cologne to Bingen (Rhein) Hbf, when choosing "only local transport" I have found at "Products" the following train types: MRB (Mittelrheinbahn (trans regio), RE, or a combination of both.

So is the MRB train covered by the Happy Weekend ticket? The DB Bahn web site refers only to S-Bahn, RB, IRE, RE. Thank you!

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,777 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Happy weekend ticket- valid on MRB trains?

Yes, the MRB trains are covered. So are the VIA trains on the opposite river bank. These trains belong to private companies that operate trains under the conditions set by DB and local transit authorities. They are local trains that do the job of the RB trains of the past in this area - they connect every small town with a station, stopping every few minutes.

I would recommend a tour of Marksburg Castle if you find time; it's in Braubach on the east bank of the Rhine south of Koblenz. A train from Koblenz will get you there in about 10 minutes. It's also possible to cross over the river in St. Goar by ferry (or just get off the cruise boat in St. Goarshausen) and take the VIA train north to Braubach. In this case, you might want to visit Oberwesel and Bacharach before your cruise starts.

Pune, Maharashtra...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Happy weekend ticket- valid on MRB trains?

You asked my question.. thanks you :)

greeley, CO
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
476 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Happy weekend ticket- valid on MRB trains?

Show your train ticket when you get your boat ticket and get a discount.

4. Re: Happy weekend ticket- valid on MRB trains?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, June 15, 2015