I'm surprised by how difficult it's been trying to find a nice suite for my first trip to Cologne. Any "moderate luxury" travellers have any specific recommendations? (Price is, unfortunately, an issue, as the room I thought I'd book turned out to be more than I want to spend.)
Ideally, some unique, Cologne charm would be preferred.
I'm just going to Cologne to see a concert. ...One or two nights. ...With my husband.
**To help whittle-down your suggestions, here's what I've tried so far, and what didn't work:
- I assumed I'd stay at the (then #1 ranked, I believe) Excelsior Hotel Ernst. Alas, when I went to reserve the room I'd selected, the best rate was €918. :( The smallest suite is around €500, so I may still consider it.
- Looking at the now #1 ranked hotel in Cologne, I thought quaint Stern Am Rathaus' Junior Suite might be perfect to try. Unfortunately, their cancellation policy is keeping me from booking now, and they seem to be so popular, that room will probably be booked before I want to commit my $. (When I went to reserve the room, I noticed they charge a cxln fee something like a month prior to check-in, going up to the full rate several nights prior to check-in. Too chancy for me, right now. Maybe I'll get lucky, closer to the concert date, if I'm still looking?) They also have a 2-night min. stay. My husband would prefer 1, but it's not a deal-breaker.
- I checked Pullman, but the online picture of the Deluxe Suite almost brought tears to my eyes, with what seems to be grape-coloured carpeting, a horrid ivory (leather?) sofa, and blank walls. (Maybe it's better in-person?) In any event, it didn't entice me to book there, either.
- After several other failed tries (just not what I was hoping for), I thought, 'Let's see what (#4 ranked?) Marriott has to offer. At least I'll get points.' In scrolling through the images (none for a couple of suite types), I saw one from what I believe is their best room, the Dom Suite, and there are essentially kitchen cabinets below the television in the seating area.(WT...???) It seems like an incredibly uncomfortable seating area, too. (I often curl-up for a movie, at some point.) At something like €489/night, I was hoping for better / more attractive.
That's when I decided it might be quicker to ask for help here, from people who've stayed in Cologne hotels. ;) (Please let me know If you have personal experience with any of the above rooms, and can affirm they're nicer than the photos suggest.)
**What I am looking for:
- A relatively spacious suite.
- under €600/night.
- I prefer modern decor, but classic is great too, if impeccably-maintained.
- A standing shower is perhaps not mandatory, but def. preferred.
- I really like casual, comfortable living...with comfy couches meant for lying down with a throw blanket and some pillows, not sitting upright for a business meeting.
- A dining table is also important, since I take full advantage of in-room dining.
- Of course, a big, crisp, comfy bed is de rigueur.