We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fast trains between Koln and Dusseldorf

London
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Fast trains between Koln and Dusseldorf

Hi

I want to travel from Koln Airport to Dusseldorf and then to Koln Hbf in one day. I see the fastest trains are the IC trains or the ICE trains. Can I buy tickets for this from the DB machines or do I go to the counter? What options should I select at the DB machine? Thanks

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,872 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Fast trains between Koln and Dusseldorf

You can query at the ticket machines for connections similar like with the DB timetable online and pick a connection to buy ticket for.

ICE Cologne-Bonn Airport to Düsseldorf is EUR 20,00.

ICE Düsseldorf to Cologne is EUR 17,50. IC EUR 12,00.

Using regional trains you pay EUR 10,80 one way. A day ticket is EUR 22,90. These are tickets of the VRS local public transport tariff. Such tickets do cover regional trains, S-Bahn, Stadtbahn (mixture or tram and metro), trams and buses between and in both cities.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
4,411 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fast trains between Koln and Dusseldorf

If I were you I would stick to regional trains. On the hand they run more frequently. (S-Bahn from the airport to Cologne). And on the other hand they are cheaper and don't take much longer.

I think the ICE is just a couple of minutes faster. Not worth spending an extra €10 on - in my opinion.

3. Re: Fast trains between Koln and Dusseldorf

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, August 30, 2014