We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
240 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip

Hi

Im staying in Dusseldorf for a few days but hope to go to Cologne for a day trip.

What are the main things/attractions i should do or see

im in late 20's and just really looking something to help pass the time

thanks

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,375 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip

check out the Dom - you can't miss it - straight in front as you exit the station - take a gided tour - fantastic! , the museum next door (German Roman) or the Ludwig Museum (art gallery) next door. that will easily fill a day

lots more in the 'things to do' tab in the green bar at the top

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,295 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip

And of course you shouldn´t miss a stroll through the Altstadt and a visit in any of the brewery pubs. Or you can do a cable car ride across the Rhine...there is a lot to see and do

http://www.cologne-tourism.com/

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,940 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip

Just to add to thmoore suggestion, you could walk up the tower of the cathedral, you have a great view over Cologne and the surrounding area. And as Patara suggested, have a nice cold Koelsch (the local beer) in one of the brewery house with some typical Cologne food.

If you decide to take the cable car I would recommend to take it from Cologne Zoo, and then walk back to the Old Town through the Rheinpark along the river Rhine, and then cross the river via the Hohenzollerbruecke (the railway bridge), and you can see hundreds of 'love-locks'. Even if you don't take the cable car, it is worthwhile to cross that bridge.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
219 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip

Frankly @Irish_lad84, I'd pass on Cologne - it's a city with a one-trick pony - the Dom.

Go to Wuppertal instead, see and ride the fabulous 13.5 km suspension monorail and then just enjoy the city - 30 minute S-Bahn ride from Dusseldorf - way more bang for your time and euro than Cologne, way more.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
527 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip

> cross the river via the Hohenzollerbruecke (the railway bridge), and you can see hundreds of 'love-locks'

hundreds? There are some 250,000 by now!

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
527 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip

@Irish_lad84: You shouldn't pass on Cologne just to use the public transport system of another town. traveledalready has expressed in other posts that he doesn't particularly like Cologne. Well, each to his own. But consider this: Wuppertal has 340,000 inhabitants and 493,000 overnight stays. Cologne has 1,000,000 inhabitants and more than 5,000,000 overnight stays. The Schwebebahn in Wuppertal is actually quite unique though. It has been invented by Eugen Langen, a German engineer and entrepreneur who lived and worked in Cologne. He first tried the system of the monorail suspension railway in his father's sugar factory in Cologne. Seriously: Even though the Wuppertal suspension railway may be fun to use, I would recommend you take a cable car ride across the Rhine in Cologne instead - just one of the many attractions Cologne has to offer - besides its cathedral.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
219 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip

The reason why Cologne has so many overnight stays relative to population (though I don't know the significance of that stat) is because it's a major jumping on / jumping off point for river cruises. Also, it is a popular destination for stag-dos, if you go to Altstadt you'll see the reason - bars, pubs, bars, pubs - ain't nothing quaint about Altstadt; even decent Kölners don't go to Altstadt.

An adage most applicable to Cologne would be - "move along, nothing to see here!"

Geez, is their a bridge in Europe that doesn't have at least 1,000 love locks - seen 1 love lock, you've seen 'em all.

Edited: 8:15 pm, August 20, 2013
Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,940 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip

Well, traveledalready has shown he has no idea about Cologne, as many Koelner (maybe someone can explain the difference between a decent and indecent Koelner???) enjoy going into the Altstadt for a stroll, food or just enjoying a Koelsch in one of the brewery houses (though I don't like all of them). And in comparison to other big cities Cologne has no worse issues with stag parties (you should head to Blackpool or Newcastle to experience real issues with that).

But yes, if you don't like history, churches, a world heritage, good beer and a welcomed atmosphere, then Cologne is not the right choice. Thankfully many people do not agree with the above poster (quick search and over 1.25 million people visited Cologne in the first half of 2011 - couldn't be bothered searching for 2012 numbers)

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,940 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip

And Aichberger, thanks for the correction. Was working on something else and instead if thousands I wrote hundreds. Well, even thousands would still have been an understatement....

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,295 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip

I think many (most?) visitors got the "Cologne bug" after visiting this city but of course there are always some who don´t feel comfortable there. The only thing I can´t understand is to recommend Wuppertal as alternative...but perhaps I´m biased for special reasons.

And each to his taste.

Cologne has much more to offer than the Dom and some drunken stags, if you take the time for a closer look. There are a lot of famous and interesting museums, old churches with special tresures, EG the Kolumba or St. Ursula with the "Golden Kammer", a vivid nighlife for every taste and of course the Rhine..

But as we don´t know your taste you should have a look at the descriptions of both cities and then decide which one would fit better for you..

Another alternative could be Düsseldorf.