We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 day stay in Cologne this September

UAE
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Topic
3 day stay in Cologne this September

Hello,

My and my wife are going to spend 3 days in Cologne.

we are mainly interested in medieval structure and history therefore, the Cathedral, Old Town, the churches and some museums are on our list.

I want know if there are any nearby interesting medieval towns close to Cologne - say 1 or 2 hours away that we can visit?

Mentioned in this post
Cologne
Cologne
North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
St. Maria Himmelfahrt
Sacred & Religious Sites, Churches & Cathedrals
Sankt Peter
Sacred & Religious Sites, Churches & Cathedrals
Catedral de Aquisgran
Churches & Cathedrals
Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
528 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 day stay in Cologne this September

Although Cologne was the largest city in Germany in the High Middle Ages, there aren't a lot of medieval structures left. However there are still plenty of historical traces in Cologne that make exploring the city worthwhile. As for medieval structures I would recommend a day trip to the Middle Rhine Valley. Especially Bacharach and Oberwesel have a medieval flair. You also shouldn't miss Brühl (just 2 trains stops / 12 mins from Cologne Main station), it also has some medieval buildings in its old town, but is mainly known for the Augustusburg and Falkenlust palaces. There are more medieval towns within the given perimeter, but if you have only three days, I'd stick to the above. With the Cologne Cathedral, the Brühl palaces and the Middle Rhine valley you would have seen 3 World Heritage Sites in 3 days!

Mentioned in this post
Cologne
Cologne
Germany
Germany
Europe
Rhine Valley
Rhine Valley
242 Reviews
Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany
Bacharach
Bacharach
Cologne Cathedral
Cologne Cathedral
17,682 Reviews
Cologne, Germany
Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
528 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 day stay in Cologne this September

Oh, I forgot to mention Aachen, also an easy train ride from Cologne and yet another World Heritage site!

Mentioned in this post
Aachen
Aachen
Cologne
Cologne
Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,867 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 day stay in Cologne this September

To aichberger's suggestions I would add Linz am Rhein, 1 hour south of Cologne by train on the east bank of the river and the most attractive of the old-world Rhine villages, IMO. You might combine a visit to Linz with a tour of never-destroyed, 700-year-old Marksburg Castle in Braubach, on the same side of the river and 11 train minutes south of Koblenz.

http://www.linz.de/pdf/Linz_Prospekt_2007.pdf

www.marksburg.de

Mentioned in this post
Linz
Linz
Upper Austria, Austria
Cologne
Cologne
Marksburg Castle
Marksburg Castle
743 Reviews
Braubach, Germany
Koblenz
Koblenz
Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 day stay in Cologne this September

I agree with all suggestions made above, but need to add Monschau, close to Aachen, in the Eifel region.

It is a wonderful little village, between some mountains, with a castle on top, and the river flowing through the city center. You should not miss that!

Mentioned in this post
Monschau
Monschau
Aachen
Aachen
5. Re: 3 day stay in Cologne this September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 15, 2014