We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best flight route

Which Cologne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
Level Contributor
91 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Best flight route

Can anyone tell me the easiest and most direct way to travel to Cologne Germany from Melbourne Australia? Also some student accommodation ideas for approximately 1 month for my son who will studying there. He will be at the University of Applied Science, Cologne

Thank you.

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,316 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Best flight route

I would never fly from AmsterdM to Cologne, as it is only 2 1/2 hours from Schiphol to Cologne. As there is no direct flight from Edinburgh with flight times tha suits me I always fly to Amsterdam, and take the train.

However, as stated earlier, , if you can fly to Duesseldorf or Frankfurt, travlleing time by train would be even shorter

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
3,663 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Best flight route

<I would never fly from AmsterdM to Cologne, as it is only 2 1/2 hours from Schiphol to Cologne.>

A connecting flight from AMS to CGN (for example) following an intercontinental flight will often be way cheaper than a train ticket from Amsterdam to Cologne. That's why you would fly from AMS. But as I also said before, flying to CGN would be my last option for that route. Since DUS and especially FRA have better connections for intercontinental destinations.

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,316 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Best flight route

I agree with you that Duesseldorf and Frankfurt are better options.

However, I am sure about flights being cheaper. I am paying for the ICE to Cologne €29 now for the end of August, €19 for the return trip. The connection flight is usually more

Edited: 5:55 pm, July 29, 2013
Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
3,663 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Best flight route

< I am paying for the ICE to Cologne €29 now for the end of August, €19 for the return trip. The connection flight is usually more>

Not that this is the topic of this thread but connecting flights are actually sometimes included in your intercontinental fare.

Your case is a totally different story since you are flying in from Europe and you don't have the choice of a direct flight. In your case it would make absolutely no sense to take a connecting flight and that would indeed be more expensive than the train. But one has to consider all the circumstances.

Edited: 7:12 pm, July 29, 2013
Dormagen, Germany
Level Contributor
28 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Best flight route

>That may be, but the train trip from Frankfurt airport to Cologne is ~ 55 minutes directly and from Düsseldorf Terminal at least the same time with a change of trains in between.

Yes, with the ICE train is Frankfurt as close to Cologne like Düsseldorf. But whats about the frequency of the trains and the fare. There are much more trains from Düsseldorf to Cologne and the ticket is cheaper.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
3,663 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Best flight route

<Yes, with the ICE train is Frankfurt as close to Cologne like Düsseldorf. But whats about the frequency of the trains and the fare. There are much more trains from Düsseldorf to Cologne and the ticket is cheaper.>

The frequency is very good. There are sometimes 3-4 trains per hour, but at least 2 from FRA to Cologne.

And with a Rail & Fly Ticket the price is as low as around 29 €.

So that's not really a reason to choose DUS over FRA.

Dormagen, Germany
Level Contributor
28 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Best flight route

However, I would give give preference to Dusseldorf. For the following reasons:

1. As before, the distance from Dusseldorf to Cologne is much shorter

2. Ultimately, the absolute travel time via Frankfurt in most cases will be longer.

3. The Düsseldorf airport is much smaller and clearer than the Frankfurt airport, which makes the immigration and further travel to Cologne from the airport easier.

The only thing that speaks for Frankfurt Airport, is the increased number of flights to and from Australia.

But it is your choice. And if you find better flights via Frankfurt it should be Frankfurt. But you should choose between these two airports (Düsseldorf and Frankfurt) only

Edited: 5:31 am, July 31, 2013
Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,316 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Best flight route

OP, as you can see, there is quite a choice available.

Check what the best airfareis you can get, and then select the most suitable flight (price times etc), and don't limit yourself to only Duesseldorf and Frankfurt (even if they are both very conveniant for trains). Other airports like London and Amsterdam are also good places to head to if you find better long haul flights there

19. Re: Best flight route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, August 02, 2014