We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

KD Rhine Cruise

Odessa, Florida
2 posts
Save Topic
KD Rhine Cruise

I will be traveling to Germany next year with my mom and grandma. My grandmother wants to do the castle cruise down the Rhine River. Where are the best places to get off and explore? If you had to pick 2 places to get off, where would they be? Thank you!

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,644 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: KD Rhine Cruise

Best segment to tour: Bingen to St. Goar (about 1.5 hours) or Bingen to Boppard. (about 2.3 hours.) You can cruise Bingen to Braubach instead (nearly 3 hours) if you have the time and if you want to visit Braubach (Marksburg Castle.)

Generally, I'd stay on the boat for the whole trip. As you can see from the schedule, depending on when you start out, there may or may not be a boat conveniently scheduled to pick you up at a good time. You might be able to get off at one town for 1 or 2 hours and still finish your route, but generally, it's better to visit towns by train AFTER your cruise.

k-d.com/en/…c572

What towns to visit depends on what you want to see. St. Goar is good for Rheinfels Castle (ruins.) Bacharach, Oberwesel, and Boppard are good for old-world, half-timbered buildings and wineries. O'wesel has the best town wall remains. Boppard is the largest and has a good choice of restaurants, and a cool chairlift ride as well. Braubach is small but charming, and Marksburg Castle is a great experience (tours in English at 12 and 4 pm.) You can't go wrong with any of them.

Edited: 4:17 pm, June 22, 2013
Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,644 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: KD Rhine Cruise

Forgot to mention that you get a 20% cruise discount if you show your train ticket at the KD dock.

Odessa, Florida
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: KD Rhine Cruise

Thanks for your reply! My grandmother is in her 80's so I am trying to put together a trip that is convenient for her.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,644 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: KD Rhine Cruise

I rarely suggest this, but if she has real walking issues, getting to and from the platforms and stations from the docks may be trouble; you'd be wise to drive to your start town, then cruise a shorter distance and do a round trip. Drop Grandma at the KD dock in Bacharach, park, then cruise at 10:15 to St. Goar (arrive 10:55.) Have lunch there and enjoy the most scenic spot on the river - 3 castles visible from town. It's a very small town and easy walking. Then at 12:20, cruise back to Bacharach (arrive 13:30) and your car. You can drive easily to the other places on the west bank of the river as your Oma's energy level dictates - Oberwesel, Boppard - and cross the river for Braubach (there's a car ferry in St. Goar and Boppard if you want to visit Marksburg and Braubach.)

5. Re: KD Rhine Cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 24, 2014