We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cologne on an August Sunday Morning!

Which Cologne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ely, United Kingdom
4 posts
Save Topic
Cologne on an August Sunday Morning!

Hello

We have 6 hours to spend in cologne on a Sunday morning in August. I know that the shops will be shut so any ideas how we can fill our time? We are travelling with children age 7-14 yrs. Also can anyone recommend a good place for us to go for breakfast? We catch our train to Brussels in the early afternoon so thought big breakfast and picnic lunch to take on train with us.

Thanks

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,316 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cologne on an August Sunday Morning!

Usually I would recommend to visit the cathedral, however there are several services in the cathedral on a Sunday (usually there is one at 10am and at noon), so you have to ensure you go inside between services - it is worthwhile.

Your kids might enjoy the cable car across the river. From the train station take the line 18 rowards Muelheim, and leave at the station Zoo. From there the cable car will be signed. When you arrive on the other side of the river, walk along the river banks towards the Hohenzollernbruecke (train bridge), and cross the river via the bridge (check out the padlocks there - couples leaves them there). From there explore the old town.

This should be easily possible within six hours without too much rush. The walks are nice an easy, and there is a huge playground on the riverbank after the cable car.

There are some cafes in the Old town where you should be able to get breakfast (never have breakfast there, except of Fruehshoppen), or check out one of the brewery houses for an early lunch.

If the weather is nice I would suggest trying one of the Italian ice cafes to try some great ice cream - I am sure the kids will love it

2. Re: Cologne on an August Sunday Morning!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 27, 2014