We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cologne in early May ...how to spend a weekend?

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Cologne in early May ...how to spend a weekend?

TripAdvisors ...

....a quick family weekend away in Cologne. Kids 5 & 3 need a bit of entertainment. Outside of the Chocolate Museum, any suggestions?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Chocolate Museum
Chocolate Museum
4,112 Reviews
Cologne, Germany
Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,691 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cologne in early May ...how to spend a weekend?

What about the ZOO? And a ride with the cable car across the Rhine?

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
9,009 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cologne in early May ...how to spend a weekend?

I second Patara's suggestions. Next to the zoo is also the aquarium.

You might also consider walking theough the Rheinpark after using the cable car, where you can find a great playground

If you have a full day spare, you could always head to the theme park Phantasialand, but not sure if this would be too much if you have only a weekend in Cologne.

Mentioned in this post
Rheinpark
Rheinpark
5 Reviews
Cologne, Germany
Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,543 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cologne in early May ...how to spend a weekend?

The cathedral will surely impress them.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8,282 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cologne in early May ...how to spend a weekend?

Not too sure that the cathedral would hold the attention of young children, in fact they might find it a bit scary (obviously that depends on the child). Certainly from an adult's point of view it is fantastic both inside and outside. I'm not too sure though from a child's point of view.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,691 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cologne in early May ...how to spend a weekend?

The Cathedral is huge, and pretty dark inside, and might be somewhat overwhelming or even scaring for little kids.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,543 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cologne in early May ...how to spend a weekend?

When I was 4, as family tales tell, I was fascinated by cathedrals and it was me who insisted on entering and seeing them - the vast buildings, the vaults high up, the colours of the stained glass windows... What's scary about that?

I do not think children should be limited to nothing but kids' stuff. Sightseeing must of course be done in small doses, but they ought to be shown a bit more of the world than just coloured plastic in artificial play worlds and icecream stalls.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
528 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cologne in early May ...how to spend a weekend?

Hi,

zoo, cable car ("Seilbahn"), playground in the Rheinpark are all good. In case you're doing that I'd like to add the narrow-gauged railway that crosses that park, which is mainly designed for children. Also, for returning to the other side of the Rhine you can take the ferry "Strolch" parallel to the Hohenzollernbrücke (If weather permits). It is only a short and cheap ride, but for children surely more interesting than walking!

Also nice: Rowing and pedal boats in the Volksgarten. The district north and east of the Volksgarten (the so called "Südstadt") is quite nice to stroll around and eat anyway.

As to the cathedral: I can absolutely not see, how a visit could cause harm to children. If a cathedral scares your children, stay away from Bavaria, there are life-sized torture scenes (crucifixes) all over the countryside.

Mentioned in this post
Rheinpark
Rheinpark
5 Reviews
Cologne, Germany
Bavaria
Bavaria
Germany
Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,691 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cologne in early May ...how to spend a weekend?

Well, you might be right, and maybe the kids are fascinated by the Dom, but as there are even adults who have told that the cathedral was too dark, oppressive or/and overwhelming for their taste I just wanted to mention this concern.

I think it´s up to the parents to decide what will be appropriate for their kids, now they have got some good suggestions.

9. Re: Cologne in early May ...how to spend a weekend?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, May 10, 2014