We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trier? Strasbourg? Stuttgart?

Seattle
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trier? Strasbourg? Stuttgart?

I am traveling from Cologne to Basel, where do you think I should stop on the way? I am planning to stay in that city for 1 day.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Cologne
Cologne
North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
Basel
Basel
Canton of Basel, Switzerland
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Level Contributor
37 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trier? Strasbourg? Stuttgart?

Without knowing your preferences, I would subjectively recommend Trier, Stuttgart, and Strasbourg in that order. Trier and its immediate area make for a nice drive, a little touristy but walkable with things to see in the pedestrian zone. Stuttgart has more to do, and could occupy more than one day.

Mentioned in this post
Trier
Trier
Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany
Stuttgart
Stuttgart
Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany
Strasbourg
Strasbourg
Bas-Rhin, France
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
21,517 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trier? Strasbourg? Stuttgart?

Stuutgart isn't very picturesque as it's mainly post-war buildings in the centre (same is true of Cologne).

Heidelberg and Freiburg are what would come to mind to me as beautiful old (university)towns to stop off in but obviously Freiburg is too near Basel to be of use to "break the journey".

Mentioned in this post
Cologne
Cologne
Heidelberg
Heidelberg
Basel
Basel
Canton of Basel, Switzerland
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
40,149 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trier? Strasbourg? Stuttgart?

Trier and Stuttgart are considerable detours. Strasbourg is a small detour.

My recommendation would be Speyer. Directly on the route if you use the A61 from Cologne.

www.speyer.de/de/service/index…

And with plenty of sights (e.g. the nearly 1000 years old Imperial Cathedral) and the the Technik Museum Speyer

http://speyer.technik-museum.de/en

Mentioned in this post
Trier
Trier
Stuttgart
Stuttgart
Strasbourg
Strasbourg
Bas-Rhin, France
Speyer
Speyer
Cologne
Cologne
Seattle
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Trier? Strasbourg? Stuttgart?

Thank you very much for your help! I will check those cities out!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
15,373 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trier? Strasbourg? Stuttgart?

If you like automobiles, or even if you don't, Stuttgart ( www.stuttgart-tourist.de ) has the more than excellent Mercedes Benz Museum loved by all visitors irregardless of age, gender or whether they particularly like cars or not, and also the Porsche one. Our favorite town in Germany is Tuebingen ( www.tuebingen.de ), a short distance to the south of Stuttgart. It has hilly cobblestone streets, half-timbered houses, a castle, interesting nontourist shops, one of Germany's oldest universities, and the nextdoor delightful well-preserved medieval Bebenhausen Monastery (in www.schloesser-magazin.de/en ).

Mentioned in this post
Stuttgart
Stuttgart
Mercedes-Benz Museum
Mercedes-Benz Museum
6,752 Reviews
Stuttgart, Germany
Germany
Germany
Europe
6. Re: Trier? Strasbourg? Stuttgart?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 04, 2014
;