We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Germany

Dallas, Texas
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to Germany

I am on a business trip to Frankfurt Germany in early March 2013 and I want to stay another week to visit some of the country. I have been told that Cologene is a must see but want to know if Brussels Belgium is worth the effort. I will have about 5 days to spend in Germany area. Any suggestions on where to spend them would be appreciated.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,594 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Germany

I wouldn't neceassarily say Cologne is an absolute must-see. It was badly bombed in the war, as most German cities were, so there's not a lot of olde worlde charm. You have to visit smaller places for that and there are lots around Frankfurt. Or you could go to Heidelberg which many would say is a must-see too and I would say has a lot more charm.

I think more people would vote for Amsterdam than Brussels.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,475 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Germany

Brussels would not be my choice for a visit, unless you are going for the food!

Amsterdam would be far more interesting, or possibly Balck Forrest/ Strasbourg if you don't go to Cologne

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,077 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Germany

IMO Cologne is worth a trip but it´s always a matter of taste and personal preferences.

Instead of Brussel I would choose either Brugge or Amsterdam.

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,417 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Germany

I think Cologne is a great place to visit, and while it was bombed badly the Old Town was rebuild using the old style. And getting out of the train station and seeing the Cologne Cathedral will be a moment to remember. I am biased, but even being from Cologne and growing up there the cathedral is always a great, impressive sight when visiting home.

Add to it the welcoming people in Cologne, the local beer and food in the brewery houses will be good reasons to go.

So for me Cologne would therefore alway be preferred destination over Brussel.

Amsterdam is a also a nice place, and it is also only 2 1/2 hours away from Cologne by train. This should be taken in consideration, as you dont want to waste too much travelling if you have only 5 days time.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,622 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Germany

Does it have to be big cities only? IMHO this is a mistake first-timers often fall for. Due to World War II almost all cities have lost their old centres and are now mostly post-war with some rebuilt monuments. It's mostly the small towns that have preserved their authentic historical architecture - think cobblestone and timberframe and all those fairytale pictures.

You could, for example, combine Cologne with the Middle Rhine Gorge to see some castles and small places and enjoy some of their excellent wines.

http://www.welterbe-mittelrheintal.de is the best website about this region. It seems to have a hiccup at the moment, though - hope it will be back to normal tomorrow, and then you'll find the English version with the help of the "International" button.

PA
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to Germany

I have visited Cologne several times and always try to spend at least a night/day there. But I agree with the smaller towns along the Rhine are so charming and unique and a must see. Honestly my favorite area is still south Germany and seeing the Zugspitze. It is something you don't see in the US and to me absolutely beautiful. I also think a trip to Rothenburg ob der Tauber (even though a tourist town) is worth a visit.

There is so much to see and do you will want to go back. Good luck and enjoy.

BTW Brugge is wonderful too!

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to Germany

I'm not sure if you're up for driving a car while there, but a drive up the Rhine from Mainz to Koblenz is quite scenic; and then from Koblenz up the Mosel River through wine country to perhaps as far as Trier (which is a very interersting, historic city). Trains do run along the banks of both rivers if you don't want to drive.

As others have commented, I recommend Brugge over Brussels, as well.

8. Re: Trip to Germany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, January 13, 2014