We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants in Cologne

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
201 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants in Cologne

Anyone has any recommendations for good restaurants in Cologne? Good food and not super expensive. We'll be staying at the Renaissance so we'll be in the center of things. Any recommendations will be appreciated. Thank you.

pili123

Bradford, UK
Level Contributor
26 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants in Cologne

It depends completely on what kind of food you want. In general food is not expensive in Germany (apart from sometimes in the big hotels, though their restaurants are invariably good) Cologne is also truly multicultural - you can get loads of different types, but I would recommend local specialities - try the old town (Altstadt / Innenstadt) - though tourist-oriented the beer hallls / restaurants are consistently good and reasonable value.

Germany
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants in Cologne

Go to the Früh bar/restaurant for the most typical colonian food you can get! And you HAVE TO drink Kölsch. Its located next to the Dom accross from the Starbucks. The Altstadt is also good.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
201 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants in Cologne

Thanks Nila. Yes, I 've heard about Kolsh. I guess is a different type of beer.

Shropshire UK
Level Contributor
657 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants in Cologne

Try ILL PIATTO an Italian located on Hohenzollernring just down from the American sports bar. Nearest station is Rudolf platz or about a 101-15 minute walk from The Dom area.

We visited there last week and were so impressed ate there twice. We had two courses each and four drinks which came in around £40.00 in total. They served one of the juciest steaks I have ever had. If you can get a table upstairs you get a great view of the Town Gates and the square.

For dessert if you can squeeze it in walk straight across the square to the ice cream shop. Massive cornets with beutiful flavours were around 45 pence.

Hope this helps

Lardy

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
201 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants in Cologne

LardyUK,

Thank you. It sounds like a great restaurant. How did you like Cologne? This is our first trip to Cologne. We have heard wonderful things about it.

Shropshire UK
Level Contributor
657 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants in Cologne

Pili,

we loved it and it was also our first time to Cologne. We stayed there for two nights but could have done with 1or2 more as there is so much to do. We found the people very friendly and they appreciate it more if you try and converse in the native tounge.

When you arrive I would suggest going to the tourism information offices which are easily found around the city. They will give you an excellent street map and provide you with the answers to any questions you may have.

Only other tips I would have would be about public transport. Buy one of the 1,2 or three day passes from the TI centre and just navigate your way around as you need to. The transport is very prompt efficent and easy to use.

If you think of any other questions give me a shout.

Lardy.

PS looking forward to visiting your home city in September.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
201 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants in Cologne

Lardy,

Thank you. We live in Chicago. If I can help you with any information, please let me know. I've also spent lots of time in Orlando, San Francisco, Miami, Boston, San Diego, so if I can answer any questions, just ask.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
201 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants in Cologne

Lardy,

We live in Chicago. If you're coming to Chicago and want information, please let me know. I also know San Francisco, Orlando, Miami, San Diego, and other cities very well. If you have questions, just let me know. Thank you for the tips about Cologne.

9. Re: Restaurants in Cologne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, August 13, 2009