We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice for day trip to cologne from frankfurt

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
209 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Need advice for day trip to cologne from frankfurt

I am going to be in Frankfurt for 3 nights soon and would like to make a day trip to Cologne. What I'd like to do in particular is spend about 2 hours each visiting the Dom, the Melaten-Friedhof, the Claudius Therme.....and maybe the Duftmuseum im Farina Haus.

Keeping in mind these, I will be grateful if the following queries I have can be answered.

1. I haven't booked return train tickets yet. While checking for fares today, I realize that the return to Frankfurt is a lot more expensive. Can that be done on a slower (maybe more scenic journey) train?

2. In what order would it be best to try and experience the things I'd like to in Cologne?

3. Should I be adding/deleting anything from my wishlist?

Any other suggestions are most welcome.

Thank you, in anticipation of your reply.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
528 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice for day trip to cologne from frankfurt

1: The more scenic and at the same time cheaper route goes along the left side of the Rhine via Koblenz and Bonn. On www.bahn.de, enter Koblenz as stopover to get the times and fares.

2: Alight at Köln Hbf (Cologne Main station), see the Dom just next to the station and have a quick walk around the Altstadt (old town). Then see the Duftmuseum, which is near the Rathaus (town hall). Continue by foot Neumarkt. There, take the tram 1 to "Melaten". See the cemetary and return to Neumarkt the same way. My suggestion is to change there onto line 18 direction "Thielenbruch" and get off at "Zoo". From there take a cable car ("Seilbahn") ride across the Rhine, which is very scenic:

http://www.koelner-seilbahn.de/english/

This is particularly convenient for you, since the station on the other side is next to the Claudius-Therme where you want to go anyway. For returning to Frankfurt from there, you can either take the cable car back, but last service is at 6 p.m. which would be too early for me. So I'd rather take the bus that has its terminal directly at the Therme to Köln-Deutz train station (7 mins). From there it is one S-Bahn stop back to the main station where you can catch your ICE (fast) or IC (slow) to Frankfurt. Note that the more scenic route doesn't make much sense at night so I'd rather take the highspeed-train back to Frankfurt in 1 hour. Thus you have more time at the Claudius Therme.

ad 3: I don't know your interests. I personally would skip the Duftmuseum and Melaten. Maybe add one of the excellent other museums at gusto. Like Römisch-Germanisches, Museum Ludwig or Wallraff Richartz. Or just explore the city. Before going to the Therme you could for instance grab a meal here: http://www.osman-cologne.de/ where you have a beautiful view over Cologne, but you would have to reserve that in advance.

Enjoy your stay!

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
8,477 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice for day trip to cologne from frankfurt

I pretty much agree with the first post. I would also advise not heading to Melaten - instead spend some time walking around the Old Town, visiting a museum, then head to the cable car for the Thermius Therme, walk back to the Hohenzoller Bruecke via the Rhine park to get back to the other side of the Rhine and enjoy a meal in one of the Brauhaeuser for some typical Cologne food and beer. This would be a nice day trip for Cologne (though still be a bit packed).

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
209 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice for day trip to cologne from frankfurt

Thank you, aichberger for the detailed suggestions.....big help!

Thank you, Scotsman, for the suggestions :)

4. Re: Need advice for day trip to cologne from frankfurt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:42 pm, June 22, 2013