We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Aachen and Dusseldorf

Which Cologne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
121 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Travel to Aachen and Dusseldorf

We are visiting Cologne for 5 nights in December. My wife would like to visit another German City for the Christmas markets.

Could we have some advise on the which would be the better to visit Aachen or Dusseldorf. (Or indeed any other nearby German town )

Also what would be the approx travel times and costs and the best way to travel. I assume it would be by train.

Thank you

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,757 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to Aachen and Dusseldorf

Why "Aachen OR Düsseldorf"? I think you can visit both cities easily. It will only take you about 30 minutes by train to get to Düsseldorf. See www.bahn.de for travel times and cost. Take an RE, which is reasonably cheap and fast. An S-Bahn is way too slow, avoid it. And you pay surcharges for the ICE or EC/IC, so these should be avoided, too, unless cost is no issue.

Maybe you could also fit in a trip to Bonn, which used to be Germany's capital for many years and is also reasonably close to Cologne.

Birmingham, UK
Level Contributor
593 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to Aachen and Dusseldorf

Dont know about Dusseldorf or Aachen's markets but I have been to both Duisburg and Wuppertal and they both have good big markets, both within easy travel on local trains.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,910 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to Aachen and Dusseldorf

Sorry, but I´m not fond of the Christmas Market at Duisburg.

I would go for Aachen, Dusseldorf, maybe Essen or Oberhausen Centro, all reachable within about 1h. If you want to see the highest Christmas Tree (45m) you must go to Dortmund, but this would take some more time, about 1,5h.

Birmingham, UK
Level Contributor
593 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to Aachen and Dusseldorf

@Patara, each to their own, I guess , I always enjoy Duisburg, it's big, and runs down the shopping streets, plus the zoo is good too, same cant be said of Dusseldorf.

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to Aachen and Dusseldorf

Prices:

Edited: 5:55 am, November 17, 2011
Luxembourg
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel to Aachen and Dusseldorf

Prices:

to Duesseldorf take a day ticket price level 5, valid for up to 5 people EUR 30,00

to Bonn take a day ticket price level 4, valid for up to 5 people EUR 21,80

http://www.vrsinfo.de/tickets/preisliste.html

more fares and schedules here http://auskunft2.vrsinfo.de/a*ss/client/vrs/neu2/fahrplanauskunft_relaunch.html

PS. remove the asterix * in above link it would not pass the profanity check by TA.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,910 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel to Aachen and Dusseldorf

@chizlit, you are right, each to their own. And I have to admit that many people who are living in any area - like I do - are sometimes a little biased for any reasons:-).

As for me I find Christmas Markets on (smaller )places and not along a (long) street more atmospheric, but that´s always a matter of taste:-))......

But I agree with you, the Zoo is very nice.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
121 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel to Aachen and Dusseldorf

Thanks every one for their comments.

With regards the train tickets for up to 5 people. Where can these be puchased and what transport can they be used on.

Also the price noted above for 21.80, would me and wife be able to travel on that 1 ticket all day. Sorry if it seems a daft question but the price seems very cheap for all day travel.

Thanks again

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel to Aachen and Dusseldorf

You can get the tickets from the automat or from the DB counter in the main hall or from the VRS counter down the escalator in the main hall on your left facing the main entrance. There are marshallers from DB all over the train station to assist you.

The day ticket is valid Monday to Friday from 09 am until the last train but valid all day on week-ends including holidays, the 21,80 fare is for up to 5 people in your party travelling together, I can't be more specific, yes you and your wife and 3 more if you have them, but only for travel in zone 4 ! it would not be valid for Duesseldorf for which you need a zone 5 or price level 5 ticket.

Enter data into this link it will tell you what price level you need to be in :

http://auskunft2.vrsinfo.de/a*ss/client/vrs/neu2/fahrplanauskunft_relaunch.html

(remove the asterix)

Edited: 1:39 pm, November 17, 2011
Luxembourg
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel to Aachen and Dusseldorf

Open this link and go to page 5 to see which price level is applicable vrsinfo.de/fileadmin/Dateien/downloadcenter/…

Use google translator if you can't manage http://translate.google.com/#de|en|

You can use train , tram , bus as applicable.