We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cologne Carnival 2008

Detroit
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cologne Carnival 2008

I will be in Cologne on Sunday and Monday for the upcoming Carnival. Aside from the Rose Parade, any suggestions on 'must see/do' places? This is our first visit, we have our costumes and ready to party!

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cologne Carnival 2008

If you are in Cologne on Sunday, watch the School Parade. This parade is going a shorten evrsion of the path than the original Rosenmontagyug, but it is mainly for schools and youth clubs. The groups with the best costumes or waggons will be nominated and will join the main on. It is not as busy as on Monday, but always pleasant to watch it.

Otherwise, there are parties everywhere. Go to one of thousand pubs and don't be surprised if some strangers are hugging you, getting your arms and involve you in some dancing (mainly something called Schunkeln). Don't be shy, you will love it....trust me.

For any touristy thing, go to the cathredal (obviously), but I think most things (like Museums)will be closed.

Anymore question, just let me know

Detroit
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cologne Carnival 2008

Thanks Scotsman79!

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cologne Carnival 2008

You are welcome.

Only 1 and 1/2 week till Weiberfastnacht (the Thursday when the Street Carnival starts). Can't wait for a nice glass of Koelsch (or a few more if I have to...)

4. Re: Cologne Carnival 2008

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 am, September 17, 2009