We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warnemunde / Fehmarn Island Germany

Which Warnemunde hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Keosauqua, Iowa
2 posts
Save Topic
Warnemunde / Fehmarn Island Germany

We are taking a Baltic cruise this summer,

and will stop at Warnemunde for one day.

I had hoped to find a car rental for a trip

to Fehmarn Island, as my grandparents came

from there and I would like to see what it is

like.

I have not yet found a car rental in Warnemunde, so have the following questions:

1. Does anyone know of such a business near

the port?

2. How much time does it take to get tp\o

Fehmarn Island?

3. Is it worth the trip, other than to

satisfy my curiosity?

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Warnemunde / Fehmarn Island Germany

Check Rostock, the city for which Warnemuende is the harbor.. It's a short S-bahn ride from Warnemuende. The ships usually dock within walking distance to the Warnemuende S-Bahn station.

Check AutoEurope web-site for rates.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Warnemunde / Fehmarn Island Germany

Not sure if Warnemünde itself has a car rental as it is a pretty small town. Have you checked the web page www.warnemuende.de.

You'll be definitely able to rent a car in Rostock which is as mentioned before easily reached by a regional train. You could check out www.rostock.de or just google.

I've never driven from Warnemünde/Rostock to Fehmarn but I would assume that it would take you at least 3 hours one way. As you have only one day I don't really think it's worth the trip, you would spend more time driving than actually being on Fehmarn.

Fehmarn itself is worth visiting but you should have at lest a couple of days.

If I would be you I would have a look around Warnemünde and Rostock.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,168 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Warnemunde / Fehmarn Island Germany

Before making too many plans for visiting, I would make sure of how much time you have in port. We recently were on a Baltic cruise, and a few hours in port is much more likely than a day.

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Warnemunde / Fehmarn Island Germany

We'll be in port in the beginning of August. I've rented a car for the day from Hertz in Rostock. You didn't say when you'll be in town, but the Hansail is there from August 9-12 and will create quite a scene with more than 40 large sailing ships scheduled to be in during those days. You can check this out on the Rostock tourism site.

Germany
Level Contributor
239 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Warnemunde / Fehmarn Island Germany

Contact the car rental agencies in Rostock and tell them you’ll arrive with a cruise ship. They have offices near the port or will deliver the car there. No need to take the train to Rostock (although it’s worth a visit if you have the time).

6. Re: Warnemunde / Fehmarn Island Germany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 pm, August 25, 2009