We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time visitor in Hannover

Spartanburg, SC
Level Contributor
53 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
First time visitor in Hannover

I'm visiting Hannover this September for the EMO machine show and I should have 2-3 days to sight see. Any recommendations on things to do? I would like to travel the Romantic Road but I never visited Germany before or speak the language. Should I rent a car, ride the train, bus? Help!

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
412 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time visitor in Hannover

Hi Fluter

The Romantic Road is in the souterhn parts of Germany while Hanover is in northern Germany. It's quite a long way (about 370km) and as the Romantic Route itself is about the same length, this tour cannot be done on a day especially because there are so many great places along the Romantic Road that one shouldn't rush down but take some time to be able to stop wherever one wants to look around a bit.

However, there are also some nice areas around Hanover although you won't find any mountains in that region.

Nice places to go to are:

-Steinhuder Meer (the biggest lake of Lower Saxony):

You can go swimming, sailing or surfing there or just walk along. Visit some of the villages at the Steinhuder Meer, e.g. Steinhude, Mardorf or Hagenburg.

-Maschsee (lake in Hanover)

You can go on an illuminated evening cruise - including dinner or go on a roundtrip during day time.

virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/Germany/Lan…

For getting informatin about Hanover sights go to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanover

I won't go into detail here but concentrate on some day trips that can keep up with the Romantic Road ;-)

- Harz Mountains (Hannover - Goslar: 80km)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harz

dw-world.de/dw/article/0,2144,1087191,00.html

- Lueneburger Heath (Hannover - Undeloh: 120km)

www.lueneburger-heide.de/index.cfm…

The Heath is a great contrast to the Harz Mountains. If you have time, do both! For the Heath I would recommend going to Undeloh. You can go on roundtours through the heath or you can go in a carriage drawn by horses. It's a really picturesque region.

I hope you are not too disappointed that the Romantic Road is further away. I think that the Harz Mountains and the Heath are a great alternative. Hope you enjoy it. If you have further questions, feel free to ask.

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
412 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time visitor in Hannover

Just one more thing - the heath is blossoming in September - so it's the perfect time to go there!

Spartanburg, SC
Level Contributor
53 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time visitor in Hannover

Alexhh, I do have one more quetion. Is traveling best done by rail or bus, or do I need to rent a car? I suppose the road system is quite organized in Germany.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,851 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time visitor in Hannover

> I suppose the road system is quite organized in Germany.

and so is the public transportation.

Check the train connections at www.bahn.de and compare them with the driving times at www.viamichelin.de

Usually you don't _need_ to rent a car, but sometimes driving can cut some corners. Or sometimes not.

I am not sure about Undeloh, but the other towns mentioned are well connected by trains. Esp. to Goettingen, a car will never match the train time if you take an ICE.

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
412 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time visitor in Hannover

Undeloh with public transport is also possible but it takes some time (between 2-3 hours, depending on the connection) and you have to change at least 2 times so renting a car might be the better option for this day out. The connection Hanover - Undeloh is also on www.bahn.de

6. Re: First time visitor in Hannover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, August 31, 2009