We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Berlin to Amsterdam

Marin County
1 post
Save Topic
Driving from Berlin to Amsterdam

My brother and I are driving from Berlin to Amsterdam in April and are looking for suggestions for an overnight stay en-route. Any particularly interesting, pictuesque or fun places to visit?

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Jamestown, New York
Level Contributor
199 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Berlin to Amsterdam

We're thinking of doing the same thing at the same time. We're real travelers in the states, but have had experience in England to prove distances are not the same over there.. Are you concerned about the length of the trip?

Our plans are

Sun -arr AMS

Mon -AMS

Tue- Casual trip to Berlin

Wed-Berlin

Thur- Casual drive to Dusseldorf

Fri-Fly back to Glasgow

Any experience on this appreciated? We drive to Fla from Buffalo all the time, but get strange looks form others when I mention this trip!

Dan

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Germany
Level Contributor
239 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Berlin to Amsterdam

@ Dan: Depending on the route planner, time of day, exact place you start/end your journey etc. it takes about 6.5 to 7 hours to get from Amsterdam to Berlin and about 5.5 to 6 hours to get from Berlin to Düsseldorf. Traffic is most likely just about the same as in England. It certainly is doable but you have to decide for yourself if you consider it a casual trip or not.

@marialice: If you're interested in cars Wolfsburg could be of interest (autostadt.de/portal/site/www/template.PAGE/). If you’re more into nature the area between Hanover and Osnabrück (Wiehengebirge/Teutoburger Wald) is the place to go.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Wolfsburg
Wolfsburg
Lower Saxony, Germany
Jamestown, New York
Level Contributor
199 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Berlin to Amsterdam

Elli,

Thanks for the response, that's about what I was seeing. Our plans are to leave 10am, stop for and hour or two along the route each way at some interesting town, and get in around 20:00 at each location. Any suggestions as to interesting towns or villages along the way to stop at? We'll be in big towns otherwise, so we're looking for some small 'cute' towns along the way.

As to casual or not, all depends on how much whining there is in the back seat… ;)

Germany
Level Contributor
239 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Berlin to Amsterdam

> As to casual or not, all depends on how much whining there is in the back seat… ;)

I take it you're travelling with children? If that's the case and depending on their age Bodenwerder (Baron of Muenchhausen, http://www.muenchhausenland.de/index.php?side=content&ID=198&PID=198&MID=1) and Hameln (Pied Piper, http://www.hameln.com/) could be of interest, both towns south of Hanover.

Mentioned in this post
Bodenwerder
Bodenwerder
Lower Saxony, Germany
Hameln
Hameln
Lower Saxony, Germany
5. Re: Driving from Berlin to Amsterdam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:26 am, August 28, 2009