We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hores riding in Wiesbaden

GA
2 posts
Save Topic
hores riding in Wiesbaden

Anyone know if there's a horse stable in or around Wiesbaden that gives riding lessons?

GA
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: hores riding in Wiesbaden

AH! That's supposed to be "horse riding: in my topic. SORRY

Ohio
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: hores riding in Wiesbaden

In, about 1956, when I was a child, I rode at a riding school in Wiesbaden. Gerhard Weiss was the instructor, and the name of the school was "Tattersal's"... I am looking for information on this school.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hores riding in Wiesbaden

My teen daughter loves to ride when we go to Germany, and we try to arrange a lesson. I have found it is quite possible to find stables to learn riding. We have found them outside of Reutlingen and also Heidelberg. But it takes some doing, they are often "hidden." Sometimes they are listed as "clubs" Perhaps a search on Google.de.

Sorry, I don't know the Wurzburg area.

'

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,689 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hores riding in Wiesbaden

NYNM,

If you want to ride horses in and around Stuttgart, the city has a nice booklet about this with lots of places listed. You could ask them to send you a copy of it.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hores riding in Wiesbaden

mp: Thanks.

Also, the original poster mentioned Wiesbaden and I replied about Wurzburg, but I don't know about either. However, now I know about Stuttgart. I have also found in my experience the instructors speak English (although the horses may not) : )

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,689 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hores riding in Wiesbaden

NYNM,

If you want to take lessons, Germany's oldest state stable at Marbach (Gomadingen), offers them ( www.gestuet-marbach.de ). It's on the Swabian Alb ( www.schwaebischealb.de ) and an excellent place which I always enjoy visiting as you can walk through the barns to see the magnificent stallions close-up in their stalls, the mares and colts will be out in the fields, perhaps they'll be having some type of event, it's possible with pre-arrangement to have a coach, wagon or sleigh ride, and the bread sold at the place across the street is excellent.

It's said that Queen Elizabeth of England when visiting Marbach am Neckar to dedicate the poet Schiller's archives not too many years ago asked, "But where are the horses?" She thought she was visiting the world-famous stables a fairly long distance away, that's probably why she participated, but you can see that she is also related to the Wuerttemberg royalty from a picture on display at the palace in Ludwigsburg during the palace tour, one of her distant earlier relatives looks just like her!

The stable at the Thurn and Taxis Palace by Dischingen would be another wonderful place to take lessons, if they haven't closed it. I couldn't spot the stables when we drove by at Easter, but the setting and palace is lovely. Unfortunately, the palace continues its decline. They closed the hotel a long time ago (but the stables recently still had rooms), and more recently transfered the coach museum to another of their palaces near Regensberg.

Actually, I'm kind of surprised by the number of stables we stumble upon accidentally, and for a change of pace you could ride a camel in the Black Forest ( www.kamel.de ).

7. Re: hores riding in Wiesbaden

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:35 am, November 15, 2009