We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get from Ruedesheim to Rothenburg?

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,899 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get from Ruedesheim to Rothenburg?

Hello,

I've been looking at the train and looks like it's generally about 3 connections, some of which are ICE - so I'm thinking that we couldn't use the Bayern Ticket and price is coming up at about €44 each. Trip also looking to be about 4/5 hours (train station name I've been using is Steinach(b Rothenburg ob der Tauber - I hope that's the correct one?)

Is there a direct bus we could perhaps catch? Or could we boat to somewhere and get better train connections elsewhere?

I guess I'm looking for either/or cheaper/quicker options

As ever, I appreciate the help

(trip getting nearer - getting excited now!!!)

Thank you

Edited: 3:24 pm, June 07, 2014
Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,778 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get from Ruedesheim to Rothenburg?

Is Rothenburg a must? Because if it isn't, you could have a much easier time going to Büdingen, which is only an hours train ride from Frankfurt. This is an original, walled, medieval city, but it doesn't have tons of tourists nor tour buses.

Get a Hessen Ticket for 32 euro. (valid all day on the regional trains for up to 5 people) Take the train from Rüdesheim to Frankfurt main train station, switch to the train going to Gelnhausen, and then you have a short train ride to Büdingen.

Book a private tour for about 45 euro from the Tourist Info and you will get to go inside the city walls and up on the guard towers. Plus learn a lot about this beautiful town.

http://www.buedingen.info/en/

Use the RMV website for train times.

Edited: 3:31 pm, June 07, 2014
Ireland
Level Contributor
1,899 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get from Ruedesheim to Rothenburg?

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, no change now for Rothenburg. 4 nights in Ruedesheim, 3 nights in Rothenburg, 1 night in Hohenschwangau and then onto 4 nights in Munich.

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
8,115 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get from Ruedesheim to Rothenburg?

You can't help but change trains three times en route and, yes, it takes 4 to 5 hours depending on the connection you take. You can save some money with a Quer-durchs-Land ticket if you are fine not riding an ICE but staying on the regional trains (VIA, RE, RB on this route) and starting after 9am from Rüdesheim. First person would pay 44 EUR, any other only 8 EUR, so the trip would only cost 52 EUR for two. bahn.de/i/…quer-durchs-land-ticket.shtml

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,916 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get from Ruedesheim to Rothenburg?

Due the layout of the railway network and the remote location of Rothenburg in it, this trip is not possible with less than 3 changes of trains (Frankfurt, Würzburg and Steinach).

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Start: Rüdesheim(Rhein)

Destination: Rothenburg ob der Tauber

For cheap tickets select as means of transport "only local transport".

> so I'm thinking that we couldn't use the Bayern Ticket and price is coming up at about €44 each.

Rüdesheim is in Hesse. Thus a Bayern (Bavaria) Ticket won't work. Did you query for a Sa or Su? Than the EUR 44 ticket is a Schönes-Wochenende-Ticket (Happy-Weekend-Ticket). This ticket is good for up to 5 persons traveling together. Despite the ticket name however valid only on either Saturday or Sunday. Only regional trains ("only local transport").

> Trip also looking to be about 4/5 hours (train station name I've been using is Steinach(b Rothenburg ob der Tauber - I hope that's the correct one?)

Nope. Steinach(b Rothenburg ob der Tauber) means Steinach near Rothenburg ob der Tauber. This is where the branch line to Rothenburg starts. To change trains there is actually the only purpose of this train station as it is even not directly at tiny Steinach.

> Is there a direct bus we could perhaps catch?

No.

> Or could we boat to somewhere and get better train connections elsewhere?

Hmmm? You could kayak on the Rhine - Main - Tauber rivers. All upstream. I fear this will take more than 4-5 hours. Or days.

Generally you've frequent ferries from Rüdesheim to Bingen. But this won't gain you anything on this trip. Not fewer train changes but one more change ferry to train station which is with luggage not that pleasant.

> I guess I'm looking for either/or cheaper/quicker options

Only quicker option is by car. Which won't work well as neither town has branches of a major car rental company (they are too small). Cheaper than the Schönes-Wochenende-Ticket is anyway not possible.

Edited: 5:22 pm, June 07, 2014
Ireland
Level Contributor
1,899 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get from Ruedesheim to Rothenburg?

Thanks very much for all the info.

You're right - the €44 ticket is the Schönes-Wochenende-Ticket - as we're travelling on a Saturday, so excellent that that will do 5 of us - thank you.

It looks like I can purchase that online now - though if I do that, we be restricted to the train I select from teh DB Bahn site now. (€44 against the €227.50 for the 5 of us is a huge saving!) Do you know if these fares are always available, or if they sell out?

Once again, many thanks for the help. Very much appreciated.

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,899 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get from Ruedesheim to Rothenburg?

Sorry, was too late to edit. I see now that I am restricted to whatever train I select.

I still can't find though if those special fares sell out? We're not travelling till the end of August - so would I be better booking now? I don't want to lose that fantastic fare. Do you know if it asks for everyone's name if I book now? Or just mine as I'll be paying (and i guess need to validate with the card booked?)

Thanks again

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,916 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to get from Ruedesheim to Rothenburg?

This restriction to the selected connection applies only for specials including a long distance trains (ICE or IC/EC) somewhere.

Schönes-Wochenende-Ticket is a day ticket. Neither bound to a route nor a connection. Only to the date is is bought for. It is always available. You can buy it for the same price from the ticket machines at Rüdesheim train station on spot.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,436 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to get from Ruedesheim to Rothenburg?

"Cheaper than the Schönes-Wochenende-Ticket is anyway not possible." Well, there MIGHT be one way. Buy 2 tickets as follows.

Ticket #2: For Wiesbaden - Rothenburg, you can buy a DB advance-sale saver fare ticket for two adults from DB (on some dates - what's yours??) for €29 total.

Ticket 1: A ticket from the local transit authority (RMV) on the local trains for two adults from Rüdesheim to Wiesbaden costs only €8.70.

That's €37.70 total if tickets are still available for your travel date.

That doesn't reduce the # of transfers required. However, you could possibly schedule an overnight layover in Würzburg (Leave Rüdesheim a little early and spend that 4th Wiesbaden night in Würzburg instead.) You'd still have 3 changes of train altogether, technically speaking, but you'd have just one on each end of your overnight stay in Würzburg.

Example:

Lv Rüdesheim 19:32; ar Frankfurt 20:05

Lv Frankfurt 20:18; ar. Würzburg 21.29

(Sleep at Hotel Regina or Babelfish hostel other hotel near station. Have a leisurely breakfast. Walk back across the street to the station.)

Lv Würzburg 8:41; ar. Steinach 9:23

Lv. Steinach 9:35; ar. Rothenburg 9:49

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,436 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to get from Ruedesheim to Rothenburg?

The other possibility, a better one than 3 nights in Rothenburg, IMO, is just to stay in the Romantic Road city of Würzburg, an excellent destination itself, a major train hub for outings in the area, and a good base if you plan to see Nuremberg, Iphofen, Ochsenfurt, Weikersheim, or Bamberg.

If you intend to do day trips to other towns from Rothenburg, you are going to face the same transfer issue on every day trip you make - Rothenburg is at the end of a trunk line, and hence a lousy base for outings. It's also an EXTREMELY touristy environment for a 3-night stay, if you ask me, especially at the height of tourist season. No, thank you.

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,899 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to get from Ruedesheim to Rothenburg?

Thanks guys.

We're ok with the excellent Schönes-Wochenende ticket - and really, I guess the time time isn't an issue, I like the train. I am tempted by the suggestion of overnight in Würzburg as I hadn't realised we'd be going via there. Might be an idea to stay there instead of Ruedesheim or Rothenburg for a night. Been years since I've been back there...

Thanks again