We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with journey from airport to Frankensteiner Platz

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
78 posts
9 reviews
Help with journey from airport to Frankensteiner Platz

Hi

I hope someone can help - I am travelling next weekend to Frankfurt to visit the Christmas market for the weekend and am staying at a hotel near the tram stop Frankensteiner Platz. The hotel recommends arriving at subway stations Mühlberg or Lokalbahnhof but I prefer the tram stop Frankensteiner Platz as we will be arriving at night and there is a shorter walk.

I put in the following route into the RMV website yesterday and got a journey time of around 30 minutes with a subway ride to Ostendstraße then a change to the tram. However now I cant seem to get the website to recognize this route - I put in the following in the route inquiry:

From - Frankfurt (Main) Flughafen Regionalbahnhof

To - Frankfurt (Main) Frankensteiner Platz

I now seem to get routes over an hour long with no tram!

Am I doing something wrong?

Two other quick questions:

1) Is it easy to travel with a small suitcase on the subway / tram? Or should I just get a taxi?

2) Is it easy to work out the ticket machine? I gather it is based on Zones and it covers all modes of transport, i.e. subway and tram. Do I just find Frankensteiner Platz and buy a ticket for that zone?

PS I have never been to Germany before and do not speak German.

Thank you!

Kind Regards

Steven

Ferns, Ireland
5 posts
1 review
1. Re: Help with journey from airport to Frankensteiner Platz

I'm 8n the same boat, travelling a couple if weeks later. My understanding is that Frankensteiner Platz is out of action for the time being. With only carry on, we are planning on taking S8 or S9 directly to Muhlberg and walking fom there. It us about 700m or so, but we will be doing it at about 11am.

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
11,887 posts
65 reviews
2. Re: Help with journey from airport to Frankensteiner Platz

Frankensteiner Platz is currently a construction site so trams don't stop there until further notice.

1) It is generally no problem to travel on subway or tram with carry-on.

2) Ticket machines have a touch screen which you can easily switch to English language. While the tariff system is indeed based on zones you don't have to know them. Just punch in the station you want to travel to (or just generally select "Frankfurt City" as it is all one zone) and it will give you the correct ticket.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
78 posts
9 reviews
3. Re: Help with journey from airport to Frankensteiner Platz

Thanks both a taxi is probably best then at night time.

Is it easy to get a taxi from the airport or do you get scammed for high prices? I am not sure if the hotel arrange dedicated pickups

Cheers

Edited: 11:53 am, November 22, 2015
Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
20,117 posts
60 reviews
4. Re: Help with journey from airport to Frankensteiner Platz

There is really no need for a Taxi. From the Airport you take S Train to Konstablerwache(15 min trip), just exit, stay on the same platform and take any train that either ends or goes via Frankfurt Süd two stops to Lokalbahnhof. From there it is a 5-8 min walk to Frankensteiner Platz.

All together a 30 min trip, faster and cheaper vs a Taxi

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
78 posts
9 reviews
5. Re: Help with journey from airport to Frankensteiner Platz

Thanks - the main reason is that we are arriving at night. Is it a safe area to walk through?

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
20,117 posts
60 reviews
6. Re: Help with journey from airport to Frankensteiner Platz

You are in Sachsenhausen, the party area with hundreds of bars/restaurants, plenty of people around and very safe. I am living at Lokalbahnhof, never worried once.

Just use google maps and check on which way to walk(Basically one block from the station turn right and follow the street to Frankensteiner Platz/aka current construction side)

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
78 posts
9 reviews
7. Re: Help with journey from airport to Frankensteiner Platz

Just to say thanks for your advice - we made it to Lokalbanhof and the walk was easy enough.

One question about the train ticket machines at the airport - we couldn't find Lokalbanhof as a destination and we ended up picking 'Frankfurt' as a destination for €4.55 - am I right in saying this is a general ticket for inner city locations with Frankfurt (main) in their name?

How come I couldn't find Lokalbanhof as a destination?

Thanks again

Inchicore, Dublin...
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
8. Re: Help with journey from airport to Frankensteiner Platz

The reason is simple:

German traffic associations tend to make their tariffs weird and confusing. It is just their obsession. And Frankfurt is by far not the worst one.

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
38 reviews
9. Re: Help with journey from airport to Frankensteiner Platz

Lokalbahnhof is just a stop in the city of Frankfurt. You would find it on the www.rmv.de website, but not on a ticket machine.

You had the correct ticket, as it includes all of Frankfurt plus the airport.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
78 posts
9 reviews
10. Re: Help with journey from airport to Frankensteiner Platz

Fair enough - at least I got the right ticket (not that it was checked!)

Thanks again