We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FRA Frankfurt Airport / Flughafen, Tax Free / VAT Refunds

Stevensville...
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
FRA Frankfurt Airport / Flughafen, Tax Free / VAT Refunds

Over the years, I've found the FRA airport to be particularly challenging in obtaining VAT refunds and clear instructions are impossible to find.

Below are the steps to obtain VAT (tax free) refunds in FRA Terminal-2 valid on 7 Dec 2014. (Terminal-1 will be different.) Our experience with FRA is that the locations of the export control offices change to in order to make it difficult to execute the steps properly and not all of the airport employees understand the complete procedures.

Items can be placed in carry-on and/or checked luggage.

PART A:: Obtain boarding pass and get luggage tagged to your destination.

PART B:: If there are items in checked luggage, do not leave the suitcase with the airline agent, but take it to the customs/export control station located near the west end of hall-D (on the 'outside' wall). The agents will stamp your VAT form for items in the luggage, take your suitcase, and send it to the plane. Finished with this step, you can go through passport control.

PART C:: For carry-on items, proceed through passport control. The customs/export control office is immediately on the right. The agents will stamp your VAT forms for the carry-on items.

PART D:: obtaining refunds. There are two refund companies now - Global Blue and Premier Tax Free. You must take the forms to the respective companies. Global Blue was located beside the customs/export control office. Global Blue did not charge a service fee if the funds are deposited to your credit card. Premier Tax Free was located beside the entrance for gates D1-4.

-- good luck --

Taupo, New Zealand
Level Contributor
31 posts
44 reviews
1. Re: FRA Frankfurt Airport / Flughafen, Tax Free / VAT Refunds

Very useful - thanks :)

Montevideo...
Level Contributor
1,269 posts
34 reviews
2. Re: FRA Frankfurt Airport / Flughafen, Tax Free / VAT Refunds

Thanks!

Somebody with info for Munich's airport?

Changi, Singapore
Level Contributor
7 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: FRA Frankfurt Airport / Flughafen, Tax Free / VAT Refunds

Hi! That's very useful! Was the queue very long when you were there? I'm flying back to Singapore from Zurich via Frankfurt and will have a 2-hour stopover at Frankfurt. I'm hoping I can get my VAT refund done during that time.

Montevideo...
Level Contributor
1,269 posts
34 reviews
4. Re: FRA Frankfurt Airport / Flughafen, Tax Free / VAT Refunds

Are the forms in English or in German?

Thanks.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: FRA Frankfurt Airport / Flughafen, Tax Free / VAT Refunds

Great post! Bumping the thread to prevent TripAdvisor's imbecilic auto-close feature.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
6. Re: FRA Frankfurt Airport / Flughafen, Tax Free / VAT Refunds

I can confirm that Terminal 1 procedure is the same:

1. Check in at counter and get your suitcase tagged. Tell the agent you have tax free items inside the suitcase, and they will hand the luggage back to you after it has been tagged to your destination airport.

2. Bring your suitcase to the tax free CUSTOMS desk, NOT the tax free REFUND desk. They will stamp your paperwork and take your suitcase.

3. Now, take your paperwork to the tax free REFUND desk. It's right next to the customs desk. They will process your refund and give you cash or whatever you elect.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
15 posts
18 reviews
7. Re: FRA Frankfurt Airport / Flughafen, Tax Free / VAT Refunds

Thank you! Very helpful!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
180 posts
37 reviews
8. Re: FRA Frankfurt Airport / Flughafen, Tax Free / VAT Refunds

What is the minimum amount spent to qualify for Tax Refund?

Montevideo...
Level Contributor
1,269 posts
34 reviews
9. Re: FRA Frankfurt Airport / Flughafen, Tax Free / VAT Refunds

If my memory doesn't fail it was around 20 Euros

Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
10. Re: FRA Frankfurt Airport / Flughafen, Tax Free / VAT Refunds

Thank you! Very helpfull