We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Frankfurt to Baden Baden

Whitehall, PA
Level Contributor
186 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Frankfurt to Baden Baden

Hello, Can anyone tell me how long it would take to drive from Frankfurt to Baden Baden? Also how easy of a drive is it? We would be first time drivers in Europe and don't want to try to tackle something that is really not recommended. Thanks!

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,039 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Frankfurt to Baden Baden

Frankfurt-am-Main to Baden-Baden by road takes around two hours. It is pretty simple to drive; nearly all of the route is by Autobahn (freeway/motorway).

From the centre of Frankfurt, take the A3 towards Frankfurt airport. At junction 50 exit the Autobahn and join the A5 southbound towards Basel. Follow the Autobahn towards Basel until you reach junction 51 (for Baden-Baden).

Whitehall, PA
Level Contributor
186 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Frankfurt to Baden Baden

Sounds easy enough...can a first time driver handle this route? or should we resort to train travel?

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,039 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Frankfurt to Baden Baden

It looks an easy route to drive, though I have never personally done it. I always use the railways when I am in Germany.

A journey between Frankfurt and Baden-Baden by rail requires a change en-route (e.g. in Mannheim or Karlsruhe); by slower regional trains further changes are required. A single ticket by high-speed IC/ICE train costs €37.00. A return fare is around €67.00 to €87.00.

www.bahn.de (for German rail services; click on "Internat. Guests" for English-language pages.)

No reservations are required on German trains and tickets can be purchased on the day of travel from the "Fahrkarten" machines at Frankfurt Hauptbahnhof (main station).

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,871 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Frankfurt to Baden Baden

Driving in Germany is not much different than in the US, but do not obstruct the left hand lane(s) of the autobahn used only for passing. City driving can be much different as many of the roads are narrow, crooked, and mandatory lanes that must turn can be poorly marked and may really take local knowledge of which lane to be in. If you are to be doing much driving especially in more remote areas, it pays to get the more expensive detailed maps. As you mention "we" with someone to assist by looking at the map and looking for street names and signs, etc. you should do fine.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,974 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Frankfurt to Baden Baden

Depending on what you are planning to do in and after Baden-Baden, it is probably easier to take a train. You will be there in about 1 h 10 min from the airport. Every second connection is direct, others require a change in Mannheim (same platform, just walk over).

By car it would take between 1 1/2 and 2 hours. The Frankfurt area is also infamous for it's traffic jams.

Canada
Level Contributor
79 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Frankfurt to Baden Baden

altamiro

"Depending on what you are planning to do in and after Baden-Baden, it is probably easier to take a train. You will be there in about 1 h 10 min from the airport. Every second connection is direct, others require a change in Mannheim (same platform, just walk over)."

------------

I have a 15 hour FRA layover (planned) and I want to verify the time it takes to get to Baden Baden by train. Does it only take "1 h 10 min" ? I thought minimum 2 hours?

Does the train only stop in Mannheim?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,668 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Frankfurt to Baden Baden

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

To: Baden-Baden Festspielhaus

From Baden-Baden station, which is in the suburb Oos, you still need a bus to get to Baden-Baden itself.

Fastest connections need 1,75 hours.

The ICE trains stop between Frankfurt Airport and Baden-Baden normally only in Mannheim and Karlsruhe.

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Frankfurt to Baden Baden

The worst stau I've ever had the displeasure of being stuck in occurred on the A5 just south of Karlsruhe.

Freiburg im...
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Frankfurt to Baden Baden

>To: Baden-Baden Festspielhaus<

For the town center and most of the sights "Leopoldsplatz" would be a more convenient destination.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Frankfurt to Baden Baden

Intuitively, it seems at least 2 hrs, when you include getting to train, waiting for train, getting from train to center Baden-Baden, etc The time quotes of how-long-does-it-take-to-get-to are, of course, from the time the train leaves the station until it arrives in the next station. Or on Autobahn without traffic. Still, with the time in between, you could go FRA-Baden-Baden. Don't know if you have time for a spa treatment tho : (

Just in case you want alternatives you might not have considered there are other places sort of the same or closer to Frankfurt: Weisbaden, Mainz, Wurzburg, Bonn, Heidleberg (about one hr. by train, change at Mannheim, 15 more minutes to Hauptstrasse). Strasbourg, France is almost the same time as Baden-Baden (they are on different sides of Rhine).