We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 days in Europe.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
10 days in Europe.

My husband and I would like to visit Europe for approx 10 days. We are thinking of taking the train and hopping to a few different countries. Any suggestions???

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
8,250 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 days in Europe.

Well... Europe consists of about 50 different countries. What are your interests? Any must-sees? What time of year?

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 days in Europe.

Good point! I am thinking we will go next Summer or Fall. We want to see historical places, castles, and realy genuine European places. Not necessarily the touristy places. I would love to go through Italy, Spain, France, and Germany at least...

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 days in Europe.

Four massively different countries, which are among the largest in the continent, in 10 days. That's like saying I want to visit the US and see Indiana, New York, Virginia and Ohio in 10 days. For your sanity I'd limit this to two countries at most.

And everything will be genuinely European.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,788 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 days in Europe.

Well, if you visit those 4 countries, you'll have little time to see anything in any of them except the insides of trains and planes as you'll spend most of your time traveling. Germany has over 25,000-30,000 castles and palaces alone, how much are you going to be able to see of it even if you spent your entire vacation there? In almost all of Europe there is no lack of excellent things to see and do, and there's certainly a lot more in the countryside than in a few of the larger cities and capitals. Go to your library and get some good picture books of Europe and then select a few of the places that interest you the most to visit and combine those places with other nearby interesting ones. For instance, after seeing pictures of the monasteries in Meteora, Greece perched atop the large rocks, I can't see how anyone would not want to visit them! For your information, my two favorite places in Europe are on the opposite sides of the continent, in the NW the Faroe Islands and in the SE Istanbul, just wonderful sights and people. Of course, there are thousands of excellent places also to visit in between them.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 days in Europe.

Meteora Greece, Faroe Islands, and Istanbul. Thanks for suggestions! I agree, we really need to limit our trip to one, maybe two countries.

I appreciate the suggestions! Love to hear from people who have traveled there!

6. Re: 10 days in Europe.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, August 15, 2015