We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Better layover city: Frankfurt or Brussels?

Which Frankfurt hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
152 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Better layover city: Frankfurt or Brussels?

Hello, I have the potential to stop in Frankfurt or Brussels for 3 days in Dec., and was wondering which city would be better to visit. I love big cities that have culture, good food and history. I have done a decent amount of traveling but have never been to either Germany or Belgium, any insight you could provide would be great!

Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
2,224 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Better layover city: Frankfurt or Brussels?

I like Frankfurt, since I never been to Brussels I don't know how they compare.

Frankfurt has a lot of museums, 2 opera houses and even it's a pretty modern city (Mainhatten) it still has lots of history, 1 hour away by S-Bahn is Mainz where you can see history back to roman times, depending on when in Dec. there might be christmas markets around, not only the one in Frankfurt itself but others only short train rides away, food is pretty international with also a lot of local options.

My vote Frankfurt ;)

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Better layover city: Frankfurt or Brussels?

I have been to both Frankfurt and Brussels, and my vote is for Brussels. To be fair, both have areas of anonymous architecture (EU buildings in Brussels, banks in Frankfurt), but Brussels wins it for me for its food, the Belgian beers and the for the Grand'Place - one of the finest public squares in Europe.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Better layover city: Frankfurt or Brussels?

You won't make a mistake choosing either city, although accommodations in Frankfurt might be more reasonable. In my mind, its such a toss-up, that maybe you can find some other factor on which to base your decision.

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,563 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Better layover city: Frankfurt or Brussels?

You might want to consider if you want to go to the Christmas Markets or not. The one in Frankfurt is pretty big and is like a huge party every night after about 16:00.

Frankfurt also has plenty of museums, as well as a long and interesting history.

if it was me, I would check out which city had the museums I wanted to see, which one had the history I was most interested in, and of course room rates. Depending on when in Frankfurt you will be here, if there is a big trade fair happening, then the room rates are ridiculous. If not, then it is a budget place to visit. I am fond of Brussels, but would of course lean towards picking Frankfurt. :-)

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
7,390 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Better layover city: Frankfurt or Brussels?

For me it would be Brussels as well.

Though in Frankfurt you could plan an easy day trip to the Nuremberg Christmas Market. However, in my opinion, that Christmas market is way overrated.

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,563 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Better layover city: Frankfurt or Brussels?

There are more Christmas Markets nearer to Frankfurt than heading all the way to Nuremberg.

Heidelberg, Mainz, Wiesbaden, or Rüdesheim.

7. Re: Better layover city: Frankfurt or Brussels?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 26, 2015