We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 Days in Frankfurt - ideas?

Which Frankfurt hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
Level Contributor
480 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
4 Days in Frankfurt - ideas?

My husband and I will be in Frankfurt the first week in April of this year. He will be attending a Tradeshow so I'm on my own for sightseeing during the days. I need to get comfortable with venturing out on my own, and would love some ideas for short day trips for sightseeing or local sights in Frankfurt that I should see. We are staying at the Radisson Blu - is that within walking distance to trains or easy public transportation? Would love some ideas and suggestions!

Thank you!

Julie

Frankfurt, Germany
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 Days in Frankfurt - ideas?

I have recently moved to Frankfurt and so am getting to know the area. One thing I can tell you is that the transport links are excellent so wherever you are in the city you will have a choice of regular transport. In terms of what to do I have been told the sky tower (main tower) is really good to visit. There is also a zoo in Frankfurt which is good. The area of Sachsenhausen is excellent for restaurants and bars.

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,590 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 Days in Frankfurt - ideas?

Do you know about the Luminale? This is taking place at the same time as the Trade fair, but at night time. Bring your camera and tripod, as there are about 147 light projects through out the city. Here is the website with information about each project and the location. There are free shuttle buses to use.

…messefrankfurt.com/content/dam/light-buildi…

Otherwise, what are your interests? There are museums galore.

kultur-frankfurt.de/portal/…1441.aspx

The Radisson is a short tram ride away from the inner city. Get a day pass for 6.50 €. There are tours you can go on in the city, just check at the top of your screen under "Things To Do".

For day trips, head to Mainz, Wiesbaden, Bad Homburg & the Saalburg, Büdingen, Heidelberg, Worms, Speyer, Gelnhausen, Elteville, Eberbach Monestery, the Rhine, Seligenstadt, Würzburg, or Marburg. (I just wrote those randomly, they aren't in any kind of order)

There are also some nice neighborhoods in Frankfurt to visit, like Höchst, Bornheim, or Sachsenhausen. Farmers Markets are held in the city on various days, but go to the Klein Markt Halle on other days. (not Sunday) Museums are usually closed on Mondays. Head over to the Palmengarten then. It is gorgeous right now. Bethmann Park in Bornheim is very pretty too.

Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 Days in Frankfurt - ideas?

I just got a news letter that these people will offer english tours from April on, the home page is german only, some friends and I did a tour a few years back and it was real good, I might take one of the spookier ones myself http://www.morticus.info/ I have no links to this company I just enjoyed the tour and it's something different.

This is also a very different experience and not to many people know about it or a least don't advise people that it exits http://dialogmuseum.de/

Michigan
Level Contributor
480 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 Days in Frankfurt - ideas?

Thanks for the ideas everyone! I'll start looking into the links you provided.

I'm not much of a museum girl, but would like to visit a castle or two. Love architecture & history & great food. I also enjoy walking through local markets. Are there specific markets you would recommend? (not necessarily farmers markets as I won't have access to food prep)

Julie

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,590 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 Days in Frankfurt - ideas?

They do a lot of cooking at the markets so you don't have to. You can get bratwursts, pastries, chicken, mushrooms, green sauce, schnitzels, roast pork, marinated pork steaks, honey waffles, rindswursts, fried potatoes, lots of wine and applewine.

Market on the Konstablerwache on Thur. is local products only. Market on the Schiller str. by the Stock Exchange has everything. The market on the Berger Str. in Bornheim is on Wed. In Höchst, you can go to their market on Tues. Fri. and Sat. but just until 13:00. Bockenheim is also nice, set up next to the old guard tower. There is a small market on Tue. and Thur. on the Kaiser str. too. If I had to pick one though, I would head to the one in Höchst, and sightsee there afterwards, have lunch up on the city walls.

www.hfm-frankfurt.de/wochenmaerkte.html

There are some varied, untypical museums here, like the Film Museum, the Leather Museum, Architecture, and the Bible Museum.

Edited: 4:55 pm, March 19, 2014
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,889 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 Days in Frankfurt - ideas?

From Frankfurt it is not far to the Middle Rhine Valley which is full of cute medieval towns and castles.

http://www.welterbe-mittelrheintal.de/

Michigan
Level Contributor
480 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 Days in Frankfurt - ideas?

Excellent information - thank you!

Julie

8. Re: 4 Days in Frankfurt - ideas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, March 22, 2015