We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 days from Frankfurt

sydney
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
10 days from Frankfurt

Hullo experts, looking to spend a 10 day trip starting and finishing in Frankfurt. Will be hiring a car and keen to have a scenic drive with a few 2 day stopovers. I was thinking down the Rhine to start with. Prefer small (ish) towns rather than big cities.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Will be in first 2 weeks of June 2014.

Thanks

Glenn (Australia)

Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 days from Frankfurt

After visiting the Middle Rhine Valley you will have about a week left. There are many possibilities. You could do a loop through southern Germany. The Palatinate (Pfälzerwald/Deutsche Weinstrasse), Black Forest, Lake Constance, Schwäbische Alb (south of Stuttgart),Allgäu, Romantic Road come to my mind. Maybe Munich and the surrounding area, but that would be a big city. Seeing all this would take much longer than a week, so you would have to pick a few areas.

An alternative would be the area north and east of Frankfurt, like central and northern Hesse, southern Lower Saxony, Thuringia, northern Bavaria. There are many interesting small towns, castles, etc. that do not see many foreign visitors.

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
8,282 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 days from Frankfurt

Great time to visit! For off-the-beaten-path scenery consider visiting Thuringia after a couple days in the Middle Rhine River Valley. Places like Eisenach, Weimar and Erfurt are full of history and Thüringer Wald is perfect for hiking. Bamberg (the old town is a Unesco World Heritage Site) could be a great final stop. It's only two hours to drive back to Frankfurt airport from there.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 days from Frankfurt

You might want to cross the border into France and tour some of Alsace. It's not too far from Middle Rhine and Frankfurt.

You also can drive south from Frankfurt and hit places like Weinheim, Schwetzingern (lovely baroque castle and gardens), Ladenburg, Heidleberg, Baden-Baden, Black Forest, Freiburg, perhaps into northern Switzerland. These are small cities and town that might appeal to you.

I also think Lake Constance which borders on Austria and Swt=itzerland and has boats rides over to these countries.

Lots to see. Enjoy.

sydney
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 days from Frankfurt

Thank you all for your input, it is greatly appreciated! I will start planning. One more minor point, do you think that time of the year I should prebook our accommodation or would we be reasonably safe to wing it?

Thanks again

Glenn

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
8,282 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 days from Frankfurt

Watch out for holidays in June, popular destinations will be busy those weekends. But I'm sure you will always find a place to rest your head. Helpful when looking for accomodations: dropping into a town's visitor information office.

6. Re: 10 days from Frankfurt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, February 04, 2015