We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 hours stopover in Frankfurt

Pasadena, California
Level Contributor
226 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
8 hours stopover in Frankfurt

I have 8 hours stopover (between 8 am - 5 PM) in Frankfurt during summer. like to explore outside with my kids(6,9 years) please suggest best options.

Inchicore, Dublin...
Level Contributor
1,059 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 hours stopover in Frankfurt

Hi,

you have got several options:

1. you might be completely exhausted after this long flight and the jet lag and just want to relax.

In Terminal A within the security zone, in the Lufthansa area you will find coffeemachines, wifi and newspaper for free, if you have a closer look. Just don't tell everybody.

2. In Terminal 2 in the public zone there is a McD with a little play ground and a good view over the airport and above the Regional train station you find a little Tegut supermarket where you can also buy some local food (and eat at Mc D, while your kiddies have the burgers). With an 8 hour stopover you can do a sightseeing tour across the airport, just contact the information desk. As it is one of Europe's major hubs this is impressive too

3. The train ride to the city centre is only 15mins. Your kiddies will love to see the railway station and the incoming trains. If you arrive on a sunny afternoon you might walk from the main station to the Main riverside, sit down and relax with a glass of apple cider on the opposite riverside close to the Städel museum, as so many Frankfurters do. Your kiddies can watch the ships or play on the lawn. Or if it is summer just make use of one of the public pools in Frankfurt to relax and sleep a bit. E.g. the one in Höchst you can reach by the 58 bus to Höchst and the 54 bus then. There is a great all year pool in Bornheim as well.

4. Do they like public transport? If so, take the 62 bus to Schwanheim, a cosy little quarter of Frankfurt. There is the small Frankfurt transport museum. Depends certainly on the time you arrive.

5. Your kids will like the Senckenberg -museum, two more underground stops away from main station. You will see dinosaurier skeletons there.

You might be too tired for a longer trip. If not, just visit the Saalburg, an old roman settlement, just outside Frankfurt and easily to be reached by public transport.

6. You might also check this page for recommendations: …blogspot.ie/2009/04/what-to-do-with-kids-in…

Holger

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
7,872 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 hours stopover in Frankfurt

Check out this useful article by Bornheimgirl: tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g187337-i301-k68093…

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,723 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 hours stopover in Frankfurt

For kids of that age, I think I would head over to the Palmengarten. Lots of space to run and play, they have a couple of different playgrounds, a pond where you can rent a rowboat, ducks, geese, peacocks, and of course, 1000's of beautiful flowers. Get off at the main train station, Hauptbahnhof, and then go to the U-4 and take this 2 stops to Bockenheimer Warte. The Palmengarten is at this stop. If it is a rainy day, the Senckenburg Museum is going to be another big hit with your kids.

If you need to have them work off more energy, I would go climb to the top of the Kaiserdom. Just 323 steps, but it should tire them out sufficiently and the view is great from up there.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,365 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 hours stopover in Frankfurt

I think more fun for kids that age would be the Zoo(compared to Palmengarten). You just take the S-Bahn to Konstablerwache(18-20 min ride), switch to the U-Bahn(same track, no need to take any escelators) one stop to the Zoo. Within 30 min you should be there.

5. Re: 8 hours stopover in Frankfurt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, January 25, 2015